Extracts 'Eye Witness D-Day'

Discussion in 'German' started by Pat Curran, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

I have been reading 'Eye Witness D-Day - The Story of the Battle by Those Who Were There' by Jon E. Lewis and wish to share some of the personal accounts therein with Forum readers. The accounts sometimes have dates and locations mentioned, but often they are just general impressions of day to day life during the Normandy Campaign. Regardless, they are all poignant in nature. Readers are welcome to add information regarding individuals or units as we progress through the stories.

'Anonymous German Private [p137]:
    Right in the middle of all this turmoil I got orders to go with my car for a reconnaissance towards the coast. With a few infantrymen I reported to a lieutenant. His orders were to retake a village nearby. While he was still talking to me to explain the position, a British tank came rolling towards us from behind, from a direction in which we had not even suspected the presence of the enemy.

The enemy tank immediately opened fire on us. Resistance was out of the question. I saw how a group of Polish infantrymen went over to the enemy - carrying their machine guns and waving their arms. The officer and myself hid in the brush. When we tried to get through to our lines in the evening British paratroopers caught us.

At first I was rather depressed, of course. I, an older soldier, a prisoner of war after a few hours of invasion. But when I saw the material behind the enemy front, I could only say, 'Old man, how lucky you have been!''

Not much here to go on, but anyone able to propose a unit ID?

Thanks,

Pat

2. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #2 Jpz4, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    It's a shame there's so little information which makes it difficult to appreciate accounts like this. The 'British' bit and the 'paratroopers' bit suggests something on the right wing of the 716.I.D., most likely Gren.Rgt.736. There are however a lot of 'buts' and 'ifs'.

I'd be happy to take a look at the German accounts from the book, but without some sort of geographic reference it will be hard to identify the unit involved. Officer names can be very useful, but despite having collected 1000s of names, the commmanders of many units (especially companies) remain a mystery.

In almost all cases I'd prefer to see the original German tekst, because a lot can be lost in translation. For instance, at the time the average German soldier typically spoke of the allies as 'the English' until they were properly identified as something else. The German word 'british' is seldom used in period documents and accounts. It's almost always 'englisch'. In fact many D-Day accounts speak of 'the English' even though the enemy in question were Americans.
    I do believe this particular account is indeed from the British sector but I do want to point out that it is not always enough that the enemy is identified as British in an account. It is possible they were misidentified by the witness and then translated to British, which creates even more distance to what really happened.

[Speaking of German accounts, there are fake accounts being published by Sprech Media that are being sold as genuine… stay away from them and their lying revisionist agenda.]

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Much appreciated Niels,

The book was published in 1994, which I hope means its far enough back in time to not be tarnished by revisionist accounts.

See what you make of this next German account:

'Leutnant Poppel, Wehrmacht 6th Parachute Regiment [p180-187]
    Diary, 7 June
    At first light vast numbers of enemy bombers reappear, bringing death and fire into the French hinterland. Naturally, their targets are the railway junctions, strategic concentration points and channels of communication, as well as our advancing armoured units. They know well enough that if they can eliminate our reinforcements they should be able to achieve their objectives without massive casualties. As for our own pilots - they are nowhere to be seen.

We all reckon that I Battalion has been thrown into battle alone and with no prospects of success. It must already have suffered considerable casualties if it hasn't been wiped out completely - and my friend Eugen Scherer is with them. During the night, the Regimental Commander has ordered II Battalion to relieve I Battalion. The north-east position of the hills of St Come du Mont must be held at all costs, to provide a favourable basis for further counter-attacks.

Enormous explosions can be heard in the north and north-east, which must be coming from the enemy's naval heavy artillery. We can also hear the noise of battle from that direction.

13.00 hours. 9 Company has now moved to St Come du Mont to consolidate our positions there. We have learned that I Battalion has suffered very high casualties after the Americans made further airborne landings by glider to the rear of them in the early hours of the morning. With enemy units ahead of them, with a whole Regiment of elite enemy troops behind them, and with marshland to the south, all that the Battalion could do was to take up a position of all round defense and defend themselves to the last man. Meanwhile II Battalion has gone on the attack in the north, but made only sporadic contact with enemy units and has been forced to withdraw to the hills. There it has been reinforced by a fortress construction battalion composed partly of young and old infantrymen but partly of Russians who can't really be relied on.

During the morning, 9 Company advances as far as the foothills of the mountains but is then forced to yield to the enemy's superior force. The Company is now sealing off the hills alongside units of II Battalion and the infantry.

17.00 hours. On the order of the Battalion, second mortar group under Leutnant Schroder is dispatched to reinforce 9 Company. I go with my captured French car and the lorry over the two kilometres to St Come du Mont so that I can supply the group myself and discuss tomorrow's plan of attack with Oberleutnant Wagner.'

More of this account to follow...

Regards,

Pat

4. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #4 Jpz4, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    FWIW:
    Wagner was the CO of 9.Kp. (reportedly KIA in mid July)
    Pöppel was the CO of 12.Kp.
    I do have some conflicting information about Schröder's position in that company.

The information about the fortress construction battalion is interesting. Technically there was no such battalion in the area, but the are a few posibilities to explain it. I do doubt there was more than a present company though.

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Niels,

A bit more from the same account:

'At Regimental headquarters the order reaches me to prepare tomorrow's attack with Oberleutnant Wagner. The plan is to drive the enemy back to St Marie du Mont. In the opinion of the men involved, this task can't be achieved with the forces we have available. The Americans, supported by their naval artillery, are already advancing inexorably and our advanced units are already engaged in bitter fighting.

Although night is slowly closing in, there has been no let-up in the noise of battle. With Unteroffizier Hiester and my loyal paladin Soser I go to the front to see Oberleutnant Wagner and discuss the situation with him on the spot.

Despite everything we learned in our peacetime exercises, the men are lying in large groups right next to each other. They can only de dispersed with great difficulty and much profanity. A few hundred metres further on, and the shells are landing close by. At once I'm transported back into the old style warfare. I come across Wagner behind a hedge, in discussion with the infantrymen. Today he doesn't seem as calm and level-headed as he usually is. Messages continue to come in, bringing important information from the command posts.

After a short time the main points of the attack have been discussed over the map, the ground signals and signals agreed. The leader of his company HQ personnel takes rapid notes and asks some final questions. Then a cry from ahead: enemy attacking with tanks!

The men, particularly the infantrymen, are damned jittery. But even Wagner can't seem to make up his mind what to do. Since I can't help here but can only make things worse, I start to make the journey back with my lads. At the junction I meet my mortar group, which has just got here by truck. Quickly we organize the unloading of the shells. I give my instructions to Schroder and then travel back in the lorry. The driver races along the narrow dirt road with its high hedgerows like the devil incarnate, and brings us back to Regimental HQ.'

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A bit more from the same account...

'A massive operation is underway there. ADCs come and go, messengers hurry past and are quickly dispatched on their way. The lamp is burning in the underground bunker - the Commander and the Battalion Commander are at work. Outside, the soldiers' cigarettes are glowing in the darkness. The Old Man gives Oberleutnant Prive the information about tomorrow's attack, so he discusses the last details with us. He too is less than delighted with the strength of the forces available to him. In particular, he's angry that he has to attack with just two platoons. We can all sympathize with his predicament.

What has persuaded the Commander to depart from the basic principles of his map exercise? Before this he always preached to us to 'Think big!' - but now he's simply tearing this fighting Regiment apart. It's incomprehensible. But perhaps - and most likely - the whole tragedy lay in the fact that the whole Regiment had only about 70 trucks at its disposal, and these were often so old and useless that we couldn't repair them when they broke down. Replacement parts simply weren't available any more. Consequently, most of our elite Regiment had to go everywhere on foot, like in the Middle Ages, carrying all the heavy guns, anti-tank guns and mortars.

The General Staff seems to have thought that we paratroopers could manage with nothing more than our knives. This attitude even seems to have affected Field Marshal Rommel, who was otherwise so prudent: he had created defences against airborne landings, had ingeniously strengthened the coastline - but little or nothing was available for the rapid transportation of the reserve divisions to the coast...'

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Niels,

Where was 6. Fallschirmjäger HQ on the 7th/8th June?

Thanks,

Pat

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A bit more; same account...

'8 June:
    Things get under way before dawn. Only one thing is wrong: it's not our attack, but the enemy's, hitting deep into our assembled troops. The attack begins with sustained bombardment from the enemy naval artillery, explosion after explosion landing on our comrades over there. Using our field glasses and the battery commander's telescope, we try to penetrate the thick mist, but without success.

We can locate the line only roughly by listening for the exceptionally rapid fire of our MG 42s. Our six-barrelled mortars have begun to fire as well, but there's just no comparison with the enemy's armoury of heavy guns.

As the day grows brighter, we can see our targets. At one point there's a large number of Yankees running about, apparently a supply depot or even a command post. Doppelstein soon works out the firing distances, then we send the first shells over. After a few shots, we start to make direct hits. Brick dust whirls upwards from the farmhouse, people come running out in an attempt to get away from concentrated mortar fire. Even the cows are jumping around in comical fashion. Don't forget - we can shoot too.

On the mountains, the sound of battle is moving to the west - which means we are retreating slowly. If we could only get a signal from the infantry, but there's nothing, absolutely nothing. It makes me want to throw up. We're desperate to help those poor fellows, but when we've no idea where the front line is we can't do a thing. Surely it would be so easy for the infantry to show the position of the front line by sending up a light signal?

It's full daylight now. The enemy's artillery strikes are landing further forward, making thick clouds of smoke drift eastwards over the hedges. More gliders are landing by the church of Ste Mere Eglise....'

I wonder if the American 'apparent supply depot' could be Chateau Colombieres?

The reference to 'mountains' I assume is a mis-translation for 'high ground'

More follows from this account...

Regards,

Pat

9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Moving on; same account...

'Through the battery commander's telescope we can see the enemy fleet at the mouth of the Vire. An overwhelming spectacle of the power of the Allies. Ship after ship, funnel after funnel - a sight that absorbs everyone with its sheer military strength. Twenty seven big freighters each with three or more funnels, ten battleships, twenty or thirty cruisers, hundreds of smaller vessels can be recognised and counted. Really it looks like a naval review in peacetime.

We can clearly see the muzzle flashes from the warships, then the heavy stuff screams overhead and tears deep holes in the marshland. There's nothing we can do except suffer and wait.

Once again, the fighter-bomber formations are approaching the town. They're there, their machines scream into the dive. The dreadful crack of bombs on houses , then dirt and dust are thrown into the air and our tower sways. They turn and come in again. Dammit, get down from this scaffold. My God, that only just missed. But it's no good - we have to climb to the top again as its the only way we can help our hard-pressed comrades in their battle.

After a long time of fruitless observation, during which my howitzer platoon leader asks me three times whether he can open fire, we see some units retreating. At first a few men, individually, then whole groups, platoons coming back at the foot of the mountains. The enemy fire is increasing all the time, but we have no real chance of responding effectively. Then, even more bad luck, a barrel burst. Two men - of course, they're the best gunners - are badly wounded and two others less so. A tragic loss considering how few guns we have for the whole Regiment. Now the rest will be even more hard-pressed.'

More from this account follows...

Regards,

Pat

10. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Oblt. Prive is actually Oblt. Priebe, the CO of 10.Kp.

The HQ was at DMC. It must have been abandoned sometime on 8 June since the area became part of the front.
    It should be noted that the regiment was basically holding a small bridgehead north of the Douve. I.Btl. had been destroyed in the fighting at and after Vierville. This left the regiment with II. and III.Btl. and III./1058. Elements of III.Btl. were however deployed around Carentan so it was not fully available either. II.Btl. would have held the left wing (north) and III./1058 with elements of III./6 the right wing.
    By 8 June the distance to Colombières was significant and I assume the reference is made to a simple farm building.

The terrain description is unfortunately rather vague. It probably already was in the German original and the translation makes it considerably worse.

'The six barrelled mortars' are an interesting detail. This most likely refers to Nebelwerfer, but their presence is a bit of a mystery. Their use is reported (like in this account) and there is photographic evidence to show some (5-barrel actually) were in the wider Carentan area, but technically they should not have been there. Again there is an explanation, but the evidence is still inconclusive.

11. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #11 Jpz4, Aug 14, 2018
    I have a feeling the account of 8 June is a description of what could be seen from his position around Carentan. If it is it would mean that the 'mountains' in this case refers to the highground of DMC/St.Côme-du-Mont..... If not, I'm even more confused.

BTW, the word 'howitzer' here refers to 7,5 cm recoilless guns. The heavy companies (4., 8. and 12.) had two of those in their 5th platoon.

12. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Niels,

Yes, I concur; the OP seems to be in the Carentan northern suburbs...was there not some reference to a factory or creamery smoke stack being used for this purpose by the Germans in some American airborne accounts?

Regards,

Pat

13. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Just to finish the diary entry for the 8th June...

'Meanwhile it has turned into a beautiful day, blue sky, the sun burning hot in the sky. On both sides though, the soldiers continue to suffer. Raiding parties search the city for French vehicles and fuel, and my organizers prove themselves extremely competent once again. A wonderful pale grey limousine rolls up, followed by a little blue one, and we also get our hands on a motorcycle and repair it. At first the Battalion made fun of the Company, but now our transport is the envy of them all.'

Entry for the 9th June follows...

Regards,

Pat

14. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi guys,
    Very interesting story!
    I'm just wondering could the mention of a tower and scaffolding be about the possibility of tree top type of climbing tower structure and catwalks between trees in the DMC / St Come du Mont area ?

Looking forward to more of the story...

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Same account...

'9 June.
    Now, half way up the mountain, we can at last see the American infantry units. Well, you fellows, we've been waiting for you for hours. In no time, the order to open fire is given to the howitzer platoon. Shortly afterwards the shooting begins and, after a few corrections, we begin to score direct hits on the Yankees - exactly where we wanted.

I lift Doppelstein on my shoulder in sheer joy. Suddenly life on this mountain is fun again as we make the Yankees scatter. How our infantry will celebrate, especially those involved in rear guard action. It's only a shot in the arm from the rascally artillery, but it brings some relief, especially if we can make every shot count.

More groups are working their way to the road. 'Rapid rate of fire.' My poor gunners have had long enough to rest. Their aim is excellent and the range finder operator is already preparing for new targets.

11.00 hours.
    Whole columns of infantry appear on the railway line, heading towards us. It's to be hoped that the Americans don't get too far forward, or they'll be able to attack the lads on the flank. To the left and right of the tracks there's marshland, so no alternative route is available to the retreating Germans. Apparently the Americans haven't spotted them yet though, since they aren't directing any artillery fire at the tracks.

Meanwhile the Americans have advanced to the road and our own infantry has reached the protecting bridge in numbers. Now to send over our heavy stuff. Those fellows really do offer a tempting target. Our six barrelled mortars, which have found the correct range, open up. The shells land right in the middle of the Yankees. The whole area, including our old command post, is now coming under fire from the guns. Our infantry exploit the situation at once and works its way forward at great speed. It's a miracle that the Americans didn't direct their artillery fire at the road and the railway.

The entire Battalion staff has now joined us up here. The Commander and Oberleutnant Ulmer enjoy the spectacle of this less than glorious retreat by our Regimental Commander. Like us, they're also fascinated by the spectacle of the invasion fleet...

We continue to organize ourselves and to drag whatever we can from Carentan. Butter, cheese, real coffee, wine, champagne, socks and shirts - all coveted and needed. The men continue to strengthen the positions, clean their guns and themselves. Ammunition belts are reloaded

11.00 hours. (typo?)
    About twenty Amis can be seen by the old Vire bridges, helping to build footbridges, and there is also considerable activity by supply trucks. Just what our mortars and machine guns have been waiting for. I gladly give permission to open fire, and soon two enemy trucks are in flames. Peters and Domke are the happy marksmen.'

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

16. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    John,

Do you recall the reference to the German OP in a chimney stack in Carentan; its somewhere in the American accounts.

Thanks,

Pat

17. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #17 Jpz4, Aug 14, 2018
    Ulmer is the Ordonnanz-Offizier of III.Btl.
    I assume the douve bridges are meant instead of the Vire bridges….

18. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    There appears to be no diary entry for the 10th June...unless the duplicate 11.00hrs reference above is a typo:

'11 June.
    Now the time has come. The artillery has been keeping up a heavy barrage for 15 minutes, the assault guns have been moved forward to the furthest point where the hedgerows offer cover. At the stroke of 06.00 hours our artillery fire creates a fire-screen above the positions to be attacked. Simultaneously the tanks advance, accompanied by the infantry. The enemy line has already been reached, with hardly any shots being fired from there.

My men are fairly well acquainted with the terrain and move towards the old line. Widely spaced and in echelon, they advance from hedge to hedge. As they approach their objective, they come under semi-automatic fire. A sniper in a tree! A burly lance-corporal, a Bavarian or Tyrolean with a neat moustache, brings two men down from the trees single handedly but is then hit and killed. Two others are wounded. This much we can see from the observation post. Then we gather round the radio equipment to hear the incoming reports and get the details of the situation.

07.30 hours
    Report from SS Battalion I/37:
    Advancing steadily despite very stiff enemy resistance. Americans moving to the north. Enemy groups still situated between our spearheads. Own casualties moderately high.

09.00 hours
    Report from the left flank:
    Have reached outskirts of Carentan, strong enemy groups still in rear. Request artillery fire on Carentan since noise of tanks detectable there.

09.15 hours
    Report from the right flank:
    Unable to prevail against strong resistance without tanks. Approximately 500 metres territory gained by 09.00 hours.

09.50 hours
    Report from SS Battalion I/37:
    Attack at a standstill in front of Carentan. Enemy attacking from Carentan with tanks.

10.45 hours
    Forced to withdraw under massive enemy pressure.

Then everything happens with lightning speed. The Commander of the SS troops has realized that only our own position can now be held, and orders a rapid withdrawal to the initial position. The troops are pouring back, but can still be intercepted and made to reinforce the line of defence.'

[END]

Anyone able to make further sense of the described movements and positions?

Thanks,

Pat

19. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Niels,

Just missed you there

20. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Pat,
    I don't recall any mention to a German OP in a chimney stack in Carentan... Would it be high enough to see all this?
    Or what about hill 30 south of Carentan?