555th Bomb Squadron MIA's 6/22/1944

Discussion in 'Bomber' started by Tmac1397, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Guest

Thanks you very much. I will look into these.

2. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    I may have found the first German reference to the mission, although there are (as always) some discrepancies:

3. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Guest

Incredible. Thank you! I have been looking at some 12th SS records from NARA that a user on AHF posted. Lots to pore over there. I also have looked at the Bundersarchiv listings for possible records. Thanks so much for all your assistance and guidance.

4. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #44 Jpz4, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    You're welcome. I hope you'll be able to find more details on the fate of your uncle's plane and who were involved. It is still a long shot, but having found a German reference to the mission has increased the odds of there being more somewhere. At least a litte.

FWIW: Flak-Sturm-Rgt.4 (Flak-Rgt.79) was commanded by an Oberstlt. Roehler/Röhler (R.D.A. 1 March 1942), although he may have been promoted to Oberst with a RDA of 1 March 1944.
    I'll see if I can find details on the commanders and other officers of the battalions which operated under his command as personal files/archives/diaries might be final source for information that no longer exists elsewhere.
    So far I've only found the following (unconfirmed and spelling questionable) names:

[Edit: I've had these checked]
    - I./Flak-Rgt. 35: Maj. Wilhelm Mätje
    - I./Flak-Rgt. 53: Hptm. Joachim Schütte-Felsche
    - I./Flak-Rgt. 141: Hptm. Georg Rückwardt
    - le.Flak-Abt. 98: Hptm. Helmut Schüler

5. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Any news from the DPAA?

6. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Guest

Hello. Thanks so much or following up about this. I have not had an official report from the DPAA but my French sources said they spent about 1.5 days on site. Unfortunately, I don't think they found much ACW or other debris and another full excavation is not likely at this point. I still feel that this is a likely area of where their remains might be, but the decades have taken toll. It appears that most of the wreckage has been stripped away from the site leaving little indication about where to dig.
    When I get an official report from the DPAA will be happy to pass along the findings.

Thanks for your concern.
    -Tom

7. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Tom,
    If the search fails to yield results, you might consider contacting Jean-Luc and Jesn-Phillipe, who have success where the group you’ve been working with does not. This is not uncommon.

The field on the other side of ravine needs to be searched as well.

Jan

Jan

8. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Guest

Hi Jan.

Is the area in the blue box the area you are saying needs to be searched?

Attached Files:

9. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Tom,

Just saw this. Sorry for the delay. The debris pattern seems to fall along a fairly straight line. So, plot the 3 known debris locations and extend the line across the ravine into the wooded area. It would make more sense for the tail section to go undetected there. That said, maybe it is in an open, “pocked” area.

It sounds like the search has been restricted the the side of the ravine where the other wreckage was found. I think that’s a mistake.

Reasoning - It sounds like the bomb bay was hit on the bomb run (doors open). Unclear how many bombs were still in the racks, if any. Also unclear is how big they were - 500 general purpose delayed fuse is most likely unless they were targeting troop concentration, in which case, 250 lb. fragmentation bombs, or a bridge, which would be 1000 general purpose impact fused. These are important factors In understanding what the debris pattern might look like a d how stretched out it would be. Do you know what their target was?

We can extrapolate a bit from that and the masses (weights) of the other pieces, which were all in front of the explosion. The tail section was behind the explosion. That puts the tail section on the other side of the creek bed running between the two wooded areas, IMO.

Less logical, but nonetheless relevant, my eyes kept going to the other side of the ravine. I‘ve learned to trust my hunches.

I believe that Tom is down there, somewhere.

Have you reached out to Jean-Luis and Jean-Phillipe, yet? They’re successful when the government is not.

Jan

10. Tmac1397

Tmac1397 Guest

Hello all. I received an official report from the DPAA some weeks back. Sorry for not writing sooner. The DPAA did not find any additional wreckage at the site near Gavrus when they made a survey in early September. At this time it does not look like they have enough evidence to return to the site for further field research. I applaud them for trying.

I am still looking at German records with no success so far. Even if records were found I have my doubts they would have enough information to help the case. I have seen other records where they mention downing aircraft but little is ever mentioned about he fate or disposition of the crews.

I will continue doing my best to do find out more. I deeply thank all of you have who have assisted in this effort. It means a lot to me and my family. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

-Tom

11. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Did NPPA provide a map showing the exact parameters of the area surveyed with a report on the methodology used?