3 July 1944 - 1st US Army

Discussion in 'American' started by Stephen M. Fochuk, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    Hi folks,

I am having trouble figuring this one out. What offensive operation did the 1st US Army undertake on July 3, 1944, or there abouts?

Stephen

2. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    First thing that comes to mind in the attack of VIII towards Périers, followed by the offensive of VII Corps towards the same town the next day.
    May I recommend 'Breakout and Pursuit': HyperWar: US Army in WWII: Breakout and Pursuit

3. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    Thanks. I figured my laziness (quickly checking the web) and being at work would have given me a get-free card here, alas not a chance. ;) I will dig further the next time I have some time at home. What piqued my interest was the fact that the 2nd British Army was containing the German armour while the 1st US Army was on some offensive op, and that 2nd TAF was to support both; I guess the encirclement of the Cherbourg Peninsula was underway?

4. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    I'm actually still trying to figure out the exact ideas behind the offensives of VIII, VII and XIX Corps. I had regarded it as mainly an attempt to improve positions, but more recently I was told (by someone who looked into it more deeply), that it should actually be regarded as a determined breakout attempt of 1st Army. Postwar publications like Breakout and Pursuit tend to overlook this (because it failed?), which still makes it difficult to determine the actual grand scheme of the offensives.