319th GFAB roster?

Discussion in 'American' started by Dave Frederick, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Dave Frederick

Dave Frederick Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 20, 2016
    Hello Everyone,

Some years back, I was given some information from Mr. Tipton Randolph about his landing in Normandy. I hope this question will lead to some clues that will shed some light on my father in laws ( Thomas J. Moore) landing in Normandy. The original thread I started early this year has come up with a wall. Maybe this information can start me in another direction. Mr. Randolph was in my father in laws squadron and Mr Randolph stated that the members of the 82nd in his glider was Sgt. Wallace Edwards, Cpl. Elden E Smith, Pfc. Clarence W. Anderson, John T. McGee and Marlin C. Fanner. I am unclear if the men were with the 319th GFAB. Is there a roster of the men of the 319th....with what Battery the belonged?

Thank you
    Dave
    [hr]
    I apologize, the thread is linked in the text "original thread"

Thank you
    Dave

2. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Dave,

I don't know what you are looking for or how much help they will be, but have you tried this page?
    http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/319/319.html

Or their facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/319th-Glider-Field-Artillery-Battalion-160261460650984/photos/?tab=album&album_id=163120243698439

And I almost forgot that I have a book about the 319th GFAB called "Battery!" by Joseph Covais.
    I could look something up.

John

3. Dave Frederick

Researcher

Nov 20, 2016
    Thank you John,

I was thinking if I could narrow down what battery these men where from I could look at from the men/equipment Thomas was carrying into Normandy. I realize Tip Randolph and Joe Bickett had been in Chalk 17 and George Ford and Thomas was in chalk 13 (?) but, could the men from the 319th, same battery be flown in with the 436th 80th Sq? I recall Thomas saying Ford and himself were carrying a 75mm.

I appreciate the links. Yes, I had a look at all three resources. Not much to go on though.

Be Well
    Dave

4. Adam Berry

Adam Berry Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Male
    Author and Historian
    England, UK
    Hi Dave,

Sorry to resurrect this so late. If you're still interested in knowing which Battery these men were from, they were B.Battery. As you probably know, the 319th used 75mm Pack Howitzers, whereas the 320th used 105's.

Regards,
    Adam

5. Dave Frederick

Researcher

Nov 20, 2016
    Hello Adam,

Thank you very much for the information. Always good to hear new information. Is this from a roster you know of.....book? I'm trying to get a bit closer to the group of men my father in law brought into Normandy.

Thank you
    Be Well
    Dave

6. Adam Berry

Adam Berry Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Male
    Author and Historian
    England, UK
    Hi Dave,

Sorry again, late reply. I used Morning Reports to find these guys.

Regards,
    Adam

7. Dave Frederick

Researcher

Nov 20, 2016
    Hi Adam,

I hope you will forgive the late reply to you message. Adam, my father in law, Lt Thomas J. Moore jr. was a co pilot with Lt George Ford (who as I was told) in the lead glider for the 80th Sq carrying the 319th.FAB. Does the Morning Reports mention 319th members to any "marked" gliders? Sorry, I forgot the term but gliders had...."Chalk marks"? I hope this question makes sense.

Thank you for your time
    Dave