More info please...Ste Mere Eglise

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Monica Baan, Mar 14, 2018.

?

More info please...Ste Mere Eglise

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Monica Baan

Monica Baan Guest

Hi all,

I live in one of the houses on the right, further down the road, about where you can see horse behind a Jeep in the background. All photo's taken of this road are taken from pretty much the same location as this one. I would like to know if anybody has ever seen a photo further down the road where our house would be better visible?
    We have a lot of war damage still in the house. Bullet holes everywhere, 7 of them in bathroom door.
    Road used to be calles Rt de Carentan. Sainte Mere Eglise in 1944.

I had to ad poll option, don't really know why, I'm new here!

Thanks, Monica

Attached Files:

• SME.jpg
      SME.jpg
      File size:
      119.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Monica,

Firstly, you are very wecome to the Forum.

Off the top of my head, I am not aware of any photos taken closer to your house. However, there may well be unknown stills or footage out there which we have not located yet. I'll have a look...

Regards,

Pat

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Monica,

Can you send me a GE 'street view' link to your door please, by PM or email if you so wish.

Thanks,

Pat

4. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Monica and Pat,

I compared the Google street view and it is on the main road, D974 (Rue General de Gaulle) .
    In the distance where the black horse is, there is an intersection, and a road turns right and that is Rue de la Cayenne.
    On the street view you can see sunlight where the street intersection is.
    2018-03-16_15-29-39.jpg

Pat, I had been through the book Sainte Mere Eglise, by Michel De Trez and had no luck.
    If I recall, there may have been video made at the time there were soldiers on horseback in this general area. Maybe we will have some luck that way.

John

5. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi all,

Yesterday, I looked through the 3 Kenny Knotts albums, but had no luck. There are some photos taken in SME, but I couldn't determine that any showed the location in which we are interested.

Charles

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Anyone know where the old couple were waving at the camera...I think its the same pair where the old lady goes to cross in front of the 'Rough Rider' jeep, then does a quick about turn. That incident is outside the hospice but where they are seen waving is a different street.

Regards,

Pat

7. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Pat,
    I have seen several different clips of Roosevelt in the jeep and an elderly couple in black about to cross the street in the youtube page by the poster PhotosNormandie, Here is a link to one of them:

But they do not seem to show this couple later waving to the camera. Can you post a photo, or link me to the page where I can see it.

John

8. Monica Baan

Monica Baan Guest

Hi all, thanks for all the replies! I live just on the other side of Rue de la Cayenne on nr 17.
    On the above Google photo where the cars are parked in the back on the right.

9. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Monica,
    Here is a screen shot of the only other thing I have been able to find so far.
    It looks the opposite direction.

2018-03-17_18-57-16.jpg

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Thanks John and Charles; still trying to track down the footage showing the old pair waving to the camera, but I did find this still shot with Monica's house just visible in the background:
    monica_house_17_rue_de_general_de_gaulle.png monica_house_17_rue_de_general_de_gaulle_zoomed.png
    It looks like there was one large central window upstairs where the small octagonal window is today - if I am reading the 1944 photo correctly:
    monica_house_17_rue_de_general_de_gaulle_ge_street_view.png
    I'll keep digging...

Regards,

Pat