Naval Targets, German Batteries, and WN locations

Discussion in 'American' started by John Szweda, Jul 10, 2013.

1. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Pat Curran's plan to implement a map for gliders has inspired me to try to create a Google map specificly for V Corp and VII Corp Naval bombardment targets in the Omaha and Utah areas along with German Batteries and Widerstandsnests (WN) in both areas.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...0&ll=49.427054,-0.87204&spn=0.525208,0.812988

I had taken the information and plotted the targets based on their Lambert co-ordinances and old grid maps and then transferred them to Google by locating roads, hedgerows, and other landmarks when the ruins were not available or noticable.

The large total number of points expanded the map to 2 pages. Page 1 is the OMAHA area of responsibility and page 2 is the UTAH area of responsibility. In order to keep OMAHA points from drifting onto the UTAH page, I had to use purple placemark bubbles as filler. Please ignore those for now, and in the future they may be relocated and colored to indicate other events such as some specific fire support missions. It is still somewhat of a work in progress and I will edit, add, or correct locations if further information is found or provided to me.

You should be able to zoom in and click on a bubble either on the map for information, or click on the bubble on the left side to be taken to the location. I hope you find it interesting or worthwhile.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...0&ll=49.427054,-0.87204&spn=0.525208,0.812988

Respectfully,

John Szweda

2. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    Very useful John, thank you !! What are the placemarks in the Channel? Ships?

3. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Francois,
    The purple ones in the channel were placed as placemarks or space fillers to keep the two sections (Omaha and Utah) on two different pages. I placed them in the channel so hopefully there would be no confusion.
    I dont plan on designating them as ships, but I may use them later for Omaha fire support missions of interest. I am limited on the number I can use though for Omaha.

The Naval targets are all correct and copied from documents along with the German Batteries. There may be some corrections to be made to the German WN numbers. Any corrections or suggestions would be helpful.

John

4. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Thanks John:):)

5. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    Understood. Didn't know there's a limit on it.... hmmmmm....