New member introduction

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Peter, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter Guest

Hello, and thank you for the opportunity to join the forum.

I came across the forum while researching the pilots of 181 Squadron who were operating Typhoons before and after the Normandy invasion. I am doing some research on the squadron and one of its pilots, Dick Guthrie, who grew up near to me. F/Sgt Guthrie was one of the first members of 181 squadron in Sept 1942, and was later to be KIA on 18th August 1944 while attacking ground targets as a flight leader with 247 squadron near to Vimoutiers

I was very interested in the post about the locations identified from gun camera footage, and think that I can shed some light on one of the pilots involved. I would also like to get some advice on how to view other clips which are listed in the IWM archive as there are a few clips listed as being from Dick Guthrie's aircraft.

So far my research is mostly via books but I hope to get copies of the 181sqn ORB shortly.

Best regards, Peter

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    You are very welcome Peter,

Glad you could join us here and I look forward to seeing how your research progresses on F/Sgt Guthrie.

In relation to access to the IWM gun camera footage collection, I would suggest that perhaps the easiest way forward would be to have a member of F/Sgt Guthrie's family request to view what is available in the first instance.

As far as I can make out, there is a commercial cost associated with obtaining copies from this archive if you are not a family member.

Regards,

Pat

3. Peter

Peter Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome Pat.

As I'm collecting information about F/Lt Guthrie I'll also try to contact his family. I believe that he may have some relatives living locally. There is a local history group who may be able to help with that.

I'll add a post to the thread on Typhoon footage of P/O Short - I have a couple of pictures of him.

Peter

4. hans_ni-hi

hans_ni-hi Guest

Hi Peter,

a friendly welcome here from rainy and cold Germany as well. Hans

5. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    Welcome Peter

I look forward to reading more as your project evolves.

Allan

6. Peter

Peter Guest

7. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Greetings Peter and welcome!

Re: Gun camera footage at IWM.

The request for our fathers' gun camera footage was approved for expedited conservation in Jan 2014. It took 8 months to expedite;cost 46 pounds and we received his gun footage from 3 separate dates in 1944. We were asked to prioritize 2 dates; we selected 4 and they digitized 3...!
    The message: ask for more and be prepared to sign a waiver restricting duplication.
    Our unexpected bonus was receiving gun camera footage from other RCAF pilots on/around our requested dates. I soliticed Canadian Archives (LAC) to make this footage available outside IWM restrictions. No response to date.

Best of luck on your endeavors!
    Ellen

8. Peter

Peter Guest

Thanks for your note Ellen. So it sounds as though the footage on the lists is still on film in the archive and only transferred to digital on request?

I'll contact IWM and see what they say.

Peter

9. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Peter,

IWM were digitizing film chronologically and our request necessitated a "jump ahead" to 1944. A reasonable request with rationale allowed the expedited process to begin.

Good luck!
    Ellen

Thanks for your note Ellen. So it sounds as though the footage on the lists is still on film in the archive and only transferred to digital on request?

I'll contact IWM and see what they say.

Peter
    [/quote]