New UK Member

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by jon_short, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jon_short

jon_short Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Good afternoon everyone, I stumbled across the forum last week via a link on FB and read through the threads with interest hence joining!

I'm based in the UK (currently living in the Falklands with work for another 4.5 months though).

My areas of interest revolve around the U.S. Airborne in Normandy (any aspect of the operations there) and the 2nd Battalion The Royal Warwickshire Regiment in which my Grandfather served during the war.

I'm currently writing the Battalions history so if anyone has any information their willing to share I'd be most grateful. When I get 5 minutes to myself I'll start a thread about thier actions in the British Section.

Many thanks

Jon

2. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello Jon and welcome.

A good friend of mine (now deceased) was in 185 Bde. He was in 17th Field Company RE. Told a few tales about the Bieville-Beuville area.

Look forward to discussions about your grandfather's battalion (and anything else..)

Cheers

Sean

3. jon_short

jon_short Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thnaks Sean.

I hope it's not rude to ask, but did you have the opportunity to record any of the actions your friend fought in? I'm trying to peice together as a complete a picture as possible of the action that took place in the area.

4. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    Welcome Jon

Looking forward to reading anything on your grandfather's battalion.

Cheers

Allan

5. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello Jon

I've been asked many questions much ruder than that :)

Tom didn't really do much "fighting", as his job consisted mainly of laying mines, clearing mines and guiding patrols from all three infantry battalions to their jump off points.

Yes, I do have some bits and pieces written down from conversations and the like.

Cheers

Sean

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Jon,

You are very welcome.

Hopefully both yourself and the the other users will learn some mutually beneficent new knowledge on The Royal Warwickshire Regiment during the Normandy Campaign.

Regards,

Pat

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 23, 2014
    Wiltshire, UK
    Welcome Jon. I hope you're enjoying your time down south? I spent a pleasant four months down there in 2008.

Neil.

8. jon_short

jon_short Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thanks Neil, I'm stuck here on a 12 month tour. Only have 4 1/2 months left now though thank god!

On reflection I prefer the sandy places the management has to offer. The locals might not want us there but at least there is always something to do. I've seen more chuffing penguins now than I care to think, and all they do is crap everywhere!!!!

Roll on June when I can get back to my research properly!