No. 332 (Norwegian) Sqd RAF Footage

Discussion in 'Fighter' started by Pat Curran, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Looking through the British Movietone footage in film ID No. BM44917-10 on the AP Archive site here, I came across some interesting scenes which appear to relate to No. 332 (Norwegian) Squadron, RAF in Normandy. The first clue is pretty obvious with the Norwegian flag flying beside the RAF Ensign in this screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Further confirmation is achieved by the squadron code 'AH' just visible on the Spitfire taking off below:
    [​IMG]

There seems to be some sort of public relations exercise underway as there are associated shots of a Mosquito which appears to have been used to take some of the aerial footage. I have a theory that the event being filmed is the Squadron's move from England to Normandy in June.

Does anyone know this film and able to confirm or correct this scenario? The 'Mossie' seems to be a very experienced old lady with 27 mission symbols on her nose:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also a scene showing what I take to be the crew of this aircraft. I wonder if they and their aircraft are known veterans - anyone with expert 'Mossie' knowledge reading?
    [​IMG]

No. 332 (Norwegain) Squadron, with its sister 331 Squadron, formed part of 132 Wing, 2TAF during the Normandy Campaign and appears to have been based at B-16 ALG during this period. There is aerial footage of an ALG shot from the Mosquito's cockpit, presumably by the navigator, which I take to be the junior officer at left above. Anyone able to confirm if the scene below from this part of the footage is B-16 ALG?:
    [​IMG]

The Mosquito is seen landing in one of the final scenes, but I have been unable to lift any squadron markings off the stills as the aircraft touches down, apart from a removed single letter or number forward of the invasion stripes:
    [​IMG]

The landing scene also seems to be showing high ground in the distance which I cannot locate anywhere near Villons les Buissons, in Normandy. I therefore wonder if some of the ground footage was shot in England.

Anyone able to join any dots on this one? I would also appreciate a copy of 332's ORB for June if anyone has one.

Thanks,

Pat