Normand Thorwald Lund Glider Pilot

Discussion in 'Troop Carrier & Glider' started by Stephanie P, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Stephanie P

Stephanie P Guest

Hi,
    My name is Stephanie and my Uncle Norman was a Glider Pilot KIA in the invasion of Normandy, June 6th, 1944. I found out from John S that he was in the 435th Troop Carrier Group (TCG) 78th Troop Carrier Squadron. I have some information about him but I do not know what you would be interested in. My mother has a picture of him in front of a glider with others. It was a Horsa. I know where he went to training etc. Maybe, someone can supply us with additional information about his military career. My mother is the last sibling alive and would appreciate any additional information.
    Sincerely,
    Stephanie Poisson
    [hr]
    Should have previewed this ....spelt his name incorrectly in the first one.
    Name edited correctly for you Stephanie

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    RE: Norman Thowald Lund Glider Pilot

Hi Stephanie,

We would be delighted to help where we can with researching your uncle's story. If you have photographs, you may wish to watermark them before posting here. I would be glad to help with this if you wish.

Regards,

Pat

3. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Stephanie,
    I edited your uncle's name, and please let me know if it is incorrect...
    For the benefit of all, your uncle Normand T. Lund's name appears in the book "D-Day Gliders" by Philippe Esvelin on page 138 of those glider pilots killed in Normandy. This is where I got the information that he was a Flight Officer with the 435th TCG and 78th TCS. He was part of Mission Elmira, Serial 33 and helped bring the 320th Glider Field Artillery battalion into Normandy...

With this information, and whatever you can share with us, we will all dive in deeper to seek out any details we can.

John

4. marketc47

marketc47 Active Member
    Researcher

Feb 15, 2013
    Stephanie,

Have you contacted the National WW2 Glider Pilot Association?
    Met some of the family at previous two reunions. But not at the last one.

Hans

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Stephanie and All,

I am going to move this thread to the following location:

Research Currently Underway / Air Forces / American / Troop Carrier & Glider Units

I'll leave it here for a few days so as to allow readers become aware of the move.

Regards,

Pat

6. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Stephanie,

Can you tell us anything you may have known, or heard about your Uncle?

John

7. Stephanie P

Stephanie P Guest

Hi John,
    At the glider pilots reunion a couple years ago, we bought the book you mentioned and met the author who signed it for my Mom. by the way, his name is still incorrect. Norman Thorwald Lund is correct. :)
    [hr]
    Hi again John and all,
    I know that he enlisted in the coast artillery on Jan. 1, 1940 where he served a year. From there he went to Hamilton Field to begin training as a pilot. He graduated as a glider pilot in July 1942 at Twenty Nine Palms, CA and from there went on to advanced training at Lubbock, TX, graduating in 1943 as a flight officer. He went overseas in Sept or 1943. We know he trained in England to prepare for the invasion. He died at Normandy and my Grandparents had him buried in Plentywood, MT were he was born. He received the Purple Heart posthumously. My mom has some pictures I will try to get them and see if I can figure out how to post them.
    [hr]
    [hr]
    Hi Hans,
    I met you at the reunion a couple years ago. It was in Minneapolis. My mom is getting elderly so too hard to make the trip.
    Stephanie
    [hr]
    Hi Pat,
    My mom has photos but it could be a couple weeks before I can get them. I will get back to you about that.
    Regards,
    Stephanie
    [hr]
    Thanks all for the information that you have provided.
    Sincerely,
    Stephanie P

8. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Stephanie,

Have you ever heard any stories on what may have happened to your Uncle Thormand Lund?
    Such as was it the Horsa glider landing that caused his death, or had they run into Germans after landing?
    Have you ever requested a copy of his service records?

John

9. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    I am new to this forum.
    I have been researching glider pilot William P O'Haver for about two months.
    I suspect he and Norman T Lund were in the same glider. No proof. Circumstantial.
    Since I am new, please advise how to proceed.
    Jim

10. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Jim,
    Not much is known about William P. O'Haver, just like not much is known about Norman Lund.
    There is another short thread on Lund here: F/O Norman T. Lund - KIA Elmira

John

11. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    Hi John,
    I knew William P O'Haver's father.
    My research on O'Haver is a personal project.
    I suspect Stephanie P will be interested in my research.
    Perhaps she can identify some of the glider pilots in the photo of the 78th TCS in Spring 1944.
    Thank you. Jim

12. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Jim,

I don't think Stephanie P is an active member any longer.
    But we do have some excellent researchers here who know very much about the 9th Troop Carrier Command and its C-47 crews and Glider pilots. Specifically, Patrick Elie and Neil Jones who have met and interviewed both in the past.

John

13. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    Is anything known about Serial 33 Horsa LH-976 in Mission Elmira? The "manifest" available online lists glider destroyed, 7 personnel with 2 killed and 5 evacuated, jeep and trailer unserviceable. Serial flown by 43th TCG. Perhaps flown by 78th TCS. Landing 2000 meters but direction from LZ unclear. Any thoughts or comments? Jim

14. Jim Brown

Jim Brown Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    I am unclear as to where to post the following. Sorry for any confusion.
    Where can I find GO 33 dated 5 July 1944 for the 78th Troop Carrier Squadron?
    I want the names in the unit (etc) with William P O'Haver KIA.
    Thank you. Jim