Panzers...

Discussion in 'Fighter' started by Stephen M. Fochuk, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    I am coming across direction to the fighter bombers in the weeks leading up to June 6th not to attack any Panzer columns when out on armed recces. Does anyone happen to know why this was? I suspect intelligence was tracking them to see where they were going, overall, though, a bit of an odd instruction if you ask me.

Stephen

2. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello Stephen

It could be based on the assumption hat Panzer columns might have organic protection, ie Flakpanzer.
    Interesting and as you say a bit odd.

3. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    I am not sure what the protocol was at the time, I know there was a list of targets cleared and not cleared for attack which I do not have at hand, nevertheless, this order/direction was coming from the top. Another thing that comes to mind is the aircraft and pilots themselves, they could not afford to lose them so close to the main event. I know the Typhoons were restricted when it came to pre- D-day operations.

4. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    I'm thinking that just as they were being careful not to tip anything off and identify a possible area of the invasion...
    For example, panzer units moving towards the Cotentin are getting attacked, but units moving away, or towards Calais are not.