Pilot Factory

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Francois Dumas, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    Hi guys,

anyone know this book? http://www.tamupress.com/product/From-the-Pilot-Factory-1942,211.aspx

I saw an excerpt from it, that talked about a glider pilot I have been researching...

----------------

"My Glider Pilots Weren't As Fortunate"
    "Pilot Bill Brown and his co-pilot Tommy Biggs, landing in the dark, collided with trees. Bill suffered a crushed foot, a knee injury, and a concussion. Biggs had compound fractures of both legs both above and below the knees. Their glider was carrying a signal officer, a noncom, and a radio jeep. The signal guys, unhurt, tried to extract the jeep from the wreckage, gave up, and left on foot. Later, two medics arrived and administered morphine to the glider pilots. That afternoon the medics hand-carried the glider pilots to a farmhouse that was a collecting point for the wounded where they spent the night. The next day they were transferred to a beach (probably Omaha) where they were picked up by a DUKW an army amphibious landing craft that consisted of a 1 1/2-ton GI truck fitted with air-tight tanks (for buoyancy) and an outboard motor and taken to a Landing Ship Tank (LST), which ferried them to England and a hospital in Oxford. (Brown and I got together in 2000 in the Officers' Club at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. That is when I finally learned what had happened to him on D-Day.) "
    "From the Pilot Factory, 1942"
    William P. Mitchell
    Chapter 20, page 160, paragraph 2

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Francois,

Don't have the book myself.

Do you need assistance with the research?

You probably know they flew Waco #29 of Mission Chicago to LZ E on the morning of the 6th June.

Regards,

Pat

3. marketc47

marketc47 Active Member
    Researcher

Feb 15, 2013
    I have he book.

4. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    Don't need immediate help, but was wondering if the book would hold more information related to some of our other searches.

My 'client' I was researching for unfortunately died late last year. He was the soon of the glider pilot mentioned. :-(