Site of 77th Evac Hospital 'Near' Sainte Mere Eglise

Discussion in 'American' started by Pat Curran, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

I was looking for something else today on post war IGN cover when I noticed the marking in the field just up from La Fiere Bridge.
    [​IMG]
    The double entrance caught my eye and and I went to Ben Major's 'WW2 Medical Research Centre site and eventually found the aerial photo I had recalled looking at a while back:[​IMG]
    The aerial photo shows the 77th Evacuation Hospital 'near' Sainte Mere Eglise and the caption which Ben has on the photo on his Unit History page here reads:

'Aerial view of the 77th Evacuation Hospital, near Sainte-Mère-Eglise, Normandy, France, where it opened for operations 18 July 1944. The Hospital was made up of 95 pyramidal, 71 ward, 8 small wall, 7 storage, 6 squad and 2 large wall tents'

A nice find for this time of year :)

Regards,

Pat

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 23, 2014
    Wiltshire, UK
    Well done Pat. You'd never know it was ever there from looking at the Google Earth view now.

3. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Pat

A very nice find!
    This also makes me curious about the field to the east and what looks like a large ground disturbance there.

John

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Guys,

John, the field to the east was a collection point for wrecks; presumably chosen because of the Cherbourg railway line running alongside. My guess would be that some of the material has still not been removed in 1947.

Regards,

Pat

5. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Was not aware that this detail was unknown. There's actually footage showing an ambulance moving towards the hospital at about the bridge.
    As for the field next to the railroad I did a photo comparison of it many years ago. But today you need the plugin to show photobucket images to view the photos...
    Archive 1944-45 - Panzer Wreck Proving Ground: Chef-du-Pont Collection Point