The hedgerow CG-4A

Discussion in 'Troop Carrier & Glider' started by Jonesy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 23, 2014
    Wiltshire, UK
    I've had a copy of this photo for a while but forgot all about it.

[​IMG]

John was correct about the available light showing inside the CG-4A as it appears that the canvas sides have been removed.

I can't see any other gliders behind it in the field which would help to identify its location. This one could be tricky but hey, if it was easy, I would have figured it out.

Neil.

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Neil,

The detached wings look almost too neatly severed and the fuselage is dead square onto the hedgerow - could be just a coincidence, but the whole package reminds me a lot of these two Wacos, used as some form of storage or accommodation perhaps by a GRS unit on what looks like the Blosville Cemetery Field at Les Forges:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It could be just co-incidence but you never know...

Regards,

Pat

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 23, 2014
    Wiltshire, UK
    I like the theory although it's not of them two as the one in my photo has a Griswold nose.

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Enough to go round...:D

There is at least four, counting the wreckage at lower right, in the field:
    [​IMG]
    Notice also how suitable the southern half of the western hedge is as a match for your photo...low embankment, drainage ditch (at least on the western side) and widely separated trees.

Unfortunately later aerial coverage is in short supply :huh:

Regards,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    OK,

This is what I was looking to check - some segment of the two hedgerows running N/S at upper right in this post war aerial should match at least some of the treeline on the starboard side of the glider in Neil's photo. I am looking at the western hedgerows of the two fields on the far side of the cemetery. The view is west.

If its there, I cannot see it :-/

Regards,

Pat