Unearthing Churchill's Secret Army

Discussion in 'Book Reviews & Discussion' started by Pat Curran, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Without doubt, some of the bravest men and women to do battle with the forces of darkness and tyranny which was Nazism were the agents of the Special Operations Executive (SOE). The secrecy which has surrounded this organization since it was founded in July of 1940 right up to recent times has, to a very great extent, prevented us from acquiring a full appreciation of these daring exploits.

[​IMG]

'Unearthing Churchill's Secret Army - The Official List of SOE Casualties and Their Stories' by John Grehan and Martin Mace focuses on the agents who paid the ultimate price, very often with an ignominious death following extreme physical torture. Almost all SOE agents which were captured by the Germans were treated as spies and consequently were not afforded the protection of the Geneva Convention. The book lists 140 agents, mostly but not exclusively from F (French) Section, who never made it home.

Each name carries a story, spread over two pages or so, and it is this style which creates the impact. On flicking from story to story, knowing how each one ends, the reader is confronted in each case by a small passport size photograph of the agent in question. I found myself looking at the 140 faces and wondering will they be afforded the remembrance due to them, or will the world just forget that each one had a future, a life cut short, in order to provide future generations with a place to live in the sun. This book, I hope, will help to keep the names of these courageous people alive in ours and future generations' memories.

I was surprised to learn from reading the book that only an estimated 15% of SOE records survive to the present day and these small, tantalizing windows into this secretive body were only released by TNA in 2003.

The book is not without controversy however, as will be seen on the Amazon review page and it is perhaps unfortunate that suspected traitors and double agents are named in the book where it would appear that no solid proof of guilt was ever found, at least in some cases.

One addition I would personally have liked to have seen included would be a location list or map of all the SOE Circuits and Networks which were set up in France. These are named in each story but the geographical location where they operated is not always made clear. I would be especially interested to learn more of Circuits set up in Normandy.

Overall, this is a good book which has left a solid impact with this reviewer and a thirst to learn more about these brave and audacious agents, who in France alone, contributed to the final Allied victory by effect far and above their number in the field. They bravery deserves our recognition and this book will see to it that their names do not fade into the mist of time.

Regards,

Pat

2. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    I would have expected a large piece to be about the activities in Holland, as the Germans virtually ran the show there for quite a while - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englandspiel

By the way - Have you seen my updated entry, and e-mail, about 412 RSU as they landed on 15 August, two months after Frank Clark crashed.

regards

Allan

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Allan,

I don't think it was a matter of where German control was most effective, but rather the size of the canvas over which the opportunity for sabotage was available.

In my view, it was a combination of the sheer physical size of the country and the fact that France was always going to be the only practical route for the invasion of Europe, which determined that F Section was going to be the largest and best resourced in SOE. It was therefore inevitable that the highest causality rate was going to be suffered here and consequently the book reflects this.

The amount of railway track alone in France is phenomenal as I know only too well from recent work on the 'unlocatable' NCAP frames and a little ongoing project I am currently working on trying to find a 2nd or 3rd radius bend on a single railway track which is shown under attack from rocket firing typhoons in this BP footage. Starting at Brest, I have spent the last three weeks trying to find the location without success :s

Yes, I did read your latest post regarding 412 RSU. Just going over there now.

Regards,

Pat

4. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Cornwall/UK
    Hello Pat

Good luck in your search for a 2nd or 3rd radius bend - does you wife know this is how you spend your spare time, because she might think you are already round one of them!!

regards

Allan

5. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Pat and Allan,

Just finished a fascinating book "Abundance of Valour" by Will Irwin, published in 2010.
    The author concentrates on three of the Jedburgh teams who parachuted into the Netherlands in advance of Market Garden. With detailed accounts of harrowing experiences as soldiers, spys and prisoners of war, this book may add to the Dutch history of the Allied Special Forces.

Regards,
    Ellen

6. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Cornwall/UK
    Thanks Ellen - nice to hear from you - and a belated Happy Easter

regards

Allan

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Ellen,

If you have the time, we would be delighted to read your thoughts on the book.

I have always been fascinated by the exploits of agents in German occupied Europe. Its one thing to fight a war with the protection of a uniform, quite another to risk your life with only the protection of a cyanide capsule.

Regards,

Pat

8. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Pat,

I will reread with a bit more attention to detail and would be happy to post my thoughts. It may well be summer as a spring clinical session with nursing students rapidly approaches.

Ellen