320 (Netherlands) Squadron, RAF

Discussion in 'Bomber' started by Pat Curran, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Currently looking at aerial footage shot on a mission flown by No. 320 (Netherlands) Squadron, RAF sometime during June 1944. The invasion stripes are bright and fresh on the unit's B-25 Mitchells, so I assume the date is on or soon after D-Day.

While my interest in the footage was sparked by a scene therein showing a smoking aircraft crash site, I would like to learn more of this Squadron's role in the Normandy campaign.

Does anyone have the Squadron's ORB (either forms 540 or 541) for June 1944 before I order a copy from TNA?

Thanks,

Pat

2. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    They were part of No.2 Group, 2nd TAF who were assigned to the pre-Day attack plan; Noball operations, marshaling yards etc., and then support post June 6th, as far as I know. I have come to noticed that clean, fresh invasion stripes tend to have been applied once things have settled down, especially away from the front.

3. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    I'll add the squadron to my next visit to the Dutch National Archives (and perhaps also to the NIMH)

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

I have located aerial footage showing bombs going down onto the large wood (GM Link) at Saint Laurett de Condel. No aircraft are in view, but the bombs appear to be of British design and I am wondering if this raid is part of the attack on the 10th June on the Panzergruppe West headquarters at La Caine , which is only 5kms due west of the wood.

320 Squadron supplied some Mitchells for this raid, which is described in the ORB as being an attack on a "tank concentration".

Does anyone know if the 10th June raid was aimed at more than just the Chateau building?

I'll do some screenshots of the bombing footage location tonight.

Thanks,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thee footage on the AP Archive site I am wondering if its related to the attack on Chateau La Caine on the 10th of June:
    'Cutting The Peninsula - No Sound' (BM44917-7)

Looking at the segment which appears between time marks 7min28sec and 8min16sec. Here are six screen shots lettered A-C and E-G:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are the six locations with the majority of the bombs falling on or near the Foret de Grimbosq. Note the location of Chateau La Caine at lower left:

[​IMG]

Anyone able to confirm that the bombs visible in screen shot 'C' are of British design and not American?

Thanks,

Pat

6. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Pat,
    Bomb fin design are British in style. Americans used a much more boxier style.

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    #7 Pat Curran, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Thanks John,

I suspected as much.

I'll try posting on the RAF Commands forum regarding the extent of the 10th June attack. It seems there were quite a few aircraft involved, including both Typhoons and Mitchells; the former presumably tasked with targeting the chateau as I can see no bomb craters near the building on IGN 1947 cover.

Regards,

Pat

8. Stephen M. Fochuk

Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
  9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Stephen,

From the Wiki page here, I have a list of the squadrons involved, totaling 101 aircraft - rather a lot I would have thought for an attack on a single building and adjoining garden/orchard:

• 61 B-25 Mitchells from:

• 137 Wing
        • 226 Squadron
      • 139 Wing
        • 98 Squadron
        • 180 Squadron
        • 320 Squadron
    • 40 Typhoons from:

• 121 Wing
        • 245 Squadron
      • 124 Wing
        • 181 Squadron
        • 182 Squadron
        • 247 Squadron
    I have ORBs for the month of June for the blue squadrons above; does anyone have any of the others for that month?

Thanks,

Pat

10. Stephen M. Fochuk

Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    An operational order would seal the deal, but my notes from the AHB Liberation of Northwestern Europe Volume III might help:

· On 10 June, the enemy had substantial elements of three armoured divisions, 21st Panzer, Panzer Lehr, and 12 S.S. Panzer Divisions, in the line around Caen in addition to strong infantry, artillery and A.A. forces. It was known that a counter-attack was being prepared by enemy armour and as they held positions well to the North of Caen there was some danger that they might be able to reach the sea and thus divide our Beachhead. Page 87

· The 2nd T.A.F. was therefore requested to attack the headquarters of the Panzer Gruppe West, and those of the 1st. S.S. Panzer Corps so as to disorganize the preparations for such a thrust. Two attacks were made by Typhoon Squadrons on what was thought to be the latter H.Q. but without any results. The attack on the H.Q. of the Panzer Group West was a resounding success and resulted in the death of the Chief of Staff, General von Dawans, and several of his officers. The G.O.C., von Schweppenburg, was at the time. Page 87.

· While there was an occasional set piece such as this, most of the operations by the IXth Air Force and the 2nd T.A.F. during the next few days were undertaken to carry out the wide variety of tasks necessary to assist the Army. Page 88.

11. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Stephen,

Do you know the location of 1st SS Panzer Corps HQ on the 10th of June?

Thanks,

Pat

12. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Some ORB extracts:

Firstly the entry in the Form 540 for 320 Squadron:

[​IMG]

Not a lot of detail there, but the Form 541 gives full details of aircraft and crews, which I will post later. Below is the Form 540 for 181 Squadron...

[​IMG]

...and 245 Squadron's Form 540:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unless I am misreading these entries, they do seem to infer a total effort on the Chateau at La Caine - apart from the attention afforded by the Typhoons of No. 181 Squadron to the village of Montigny just up the road from La Caine:
    [​IMG]
    More follows...

Regards,

Pat

13. Stephen M. Fochuk

Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Of the little reference material that I brought with me to the isolation of the north, "Blood and Honour - The History of the 12th SS Panzer Division..." by Craig Luther reveals the following on page 179, that Panzer Group West HQ was nestled in an orchard at la Caine (12 miles southwest of Caen). And it got plastered in a big way that day.

14. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Looking at the time referenced in the 245 ORB extract above...

It would appear that the raid occurred in the late evening and this marries well with the position of the shadows formed by the dust clouds - they are pointing south east, which puts the sun low in the north west.

I think the footage might still be a candidate for the raid on Chateau La Caine.

Needs more work though!

Regards,

Pat

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

If the caption on this IWM photo is correct, the chances are high that the aircraft bombing in post #5 above are from No.226 Squadron during a raid on the 21st Panzer Division, which had dispersed in the Foret de Grimbosq on the 12th June - two days after the raid on Chateau la Caine.

The photo caption reads:

'North American Mitchell Mk IIs of No. 226 Squadron RAF based at Hartford Bridge, Hampshire, dropping 500-lb MC bombs over the Foret de Grimbosq south of Caen, in the evening of 12 June 1944. This operation was the biggest daylight raid mounted by No. 2 Group since 6 June, in which 90 aircraft bombed the 21st Panzer Division which was dispersed in the forest.'

Regards,

Pat

16. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Just obtained the Form 541 (Record of Events) for 226 Squadron...

The 12th June entry reads:

'18 Mitchell II a/c of 226 Squadron, in company with 54 Mitchells of 139 Wing , were detailed to attack the Transport Park in the Foret de Grimbosq. All a/c attacked primary at 2035/8 hours from 10/12000 feet with 144 x 500lbs M.C.T.D. 0.025 secs. Bombs.

Bombs fell generally across N.W. part of target wood. Results were not observed apart from a large column of smoke rising to 5,000 feet. Moderate, accurate heavy flak was encountered on the run up to the target, aimed at the leading box, and very intense heavy flak in barrage, with red marker bursts, from Caen area. A/c M left the formation to circle a “ditched” Mitchell from 139 Wing.

Ramrod operation on Panzer Supply and Transport Park in the Foret de Grimbosq.

Time Up: 19:25 Time Down: 21:25'

The description of the bombs falling to the NW of the wood seems to fit well with what we see in the footage - however the reference to 139 Wing, of which 320 Squadron was one of the three constituent squadrons, could still indicate that the footage is being filmed from one of their aircraft.

Anyone know what type of bomb was designated 'M.C.T.D'? I presume the 0.025secs reference is to the delayed action fuse.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

17. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    M.C.T.D. = Medium Capacity Timed Delay

18. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thamks Niels,

The use of red marker flak shells is also new to me. Ranging rounds, I presume?

Regards,

Pat

19. David Sims

David Sims Guest

The ORB for 226 Squadron gives the Title: Ramrod operation, Panzer group HQ, Le Caine

[​IMG]

20. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    David,

I don't have a copy to hand; what date does the ORB state this mission was flown on?

Thanks,
    Pat