Chateau Francquetot (Coigny) Footage

Discussion in 'American' started by Pat Curran, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

As disclosed on our FB page yesterday, I have discovered the location of several scenes in Tyler Albert's '82nd US Airborne Division / Invasion of Normandy' DVD. These scenes have been on my 'wanted list' since I first saw the footage some considerable time back.

The scenes are shot at Chateau Francquetot (Coigny), just off the D223 between Cretteville and Baupte.

This location is not to be confused with a somewhat smaller property at Chateau Francquetot (Carquebut), just down aways from the Les Forges crossroads, and Collins's 2nd HQ in Normandy.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    More...

Here is where we are; the yellow square shows the southern side of the Chateau Francquetot (Coigny) property and we are focused on the four buildings A-D therein:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The first two scenes which I have tagged to this location are the two below, showing the ambulance running across the orchard towards buildings A and B and then the sentry at the gate through the ambulance gained entry to the orchard:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Below is the line-of-sight we are seeing in the above two scenes as we look toward buildings A and B from the gateway:
    [​IMG]
    I know its a bit weak just now but there is a key scene coming up.:)

Regards,

Pat

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    The next two scenes,

These two show building C, which, if you look at it as seen on the GE satellite view above, now has no roof and appears to have brush growing from the floor. Note in the two screenshots below that there is a lean-to attached at the near end, two ladders resting against the side and a small annex at the far end - this annex is the key to the whole location:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Note we cannot see this small annex in the GE view because of the tree canopy, but it is very clear in IGN cover flown in 1947 below:
    [​IMG]
    That's the clincher for me; that little annex :)

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

Jpz4 likes this.
  4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Boots on the ground required for the next two scenes!

I am almost certain that these two scenes below are shot facing the NE side of building B:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Could I ask someone to request permission from the owners for you to take some comparison photos please?

Thanks,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    And the final two scenes tagged.

The 82nd Troopers resting under the tree:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am also pretty sure that the ladder visible behind the M1 Garand is the right most one visible leaning against the wall of building C in post #3 above. If such be the case, then the IGN cover from 1947 also shows this tree quite clearly.

OK, that's about it for now. The scenes under trees showing the GI mending the puncture and the others checking out abandoned German equipment is, most likely, shot under the tree canopy of Chateau Francquetot (Coigny) as well, but I am unable to confirm.

So, what do you guys think?

Regards,

Pat

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A nice touch here.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that the gateway through which the ambulance entered the orchard field and also visible in the scene showing the sentry, is this one on the D223 - the gate could even be the original seen in the footage. :)

Regards,

Pat

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A bit more...

The new thread 'Seeking Colour Footage - Captain William H. Nation, 508th PIR' has brought me to the stills page on the 508thpir.org site here. It appears that Capt. Nation shot some of his footage at the Chateau itself and at several locations around the grounds.

I am in the process of attempting to locate the copyright owner of this footage.

Regards,

Pat

8. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #8 Jpz4, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Pat, can you post a good quality still from the scene of the soldier fixing the inner tube?
    I had one but unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere.

9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Niels,

This is the best I can lift from the Combat Reels footage:

combatreels_82nd_dvd_chateau_francquetot-10.png combatreels_82nd_dvd_chateau_francquetot-11.png

10. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Thanks, Pat. I'm pretty sure I have a better copy somewhere. Will try to find it again.

The reason I asked is because you might want to check what's under the left headlight. That's a Panzer Rhomboid, which in itself is a massive link to Chau. Francquetôt.
    Ever since you mentioned the flat tire in your post I wanted to point that out, but I wanted to find the still myself first.. but at some point you just have to move along ;-)

11. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #11 Jpz4, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    [​IMG]
    This symbol was only used for armored formations and this particular version would only be used by tank units. This points to either Pz.Ers.u.Ausb.Abt.100 or Pz.Abt.206, but the former is much more likely because of the area where the 82AB operated.
    As you may know the battalion had its HQ at Francquetôt, so it fits in beautifully with that location.

12. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Niels,

There's a fairly crisp still in De Trez's "Ste Mere Eglise" book, page 92

Cheers

Sean

Jpz4 likes this.
  13. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Sean,

Niels, is this Photoshoped extract from the still of any benefit?
    german_truck_rhomboid_p92_sainte_mere_eglise.png
    Is that a three digit number at the bottom right reading possibly '193'...or have I applied too much processing :)

Regards,

Pat

14. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Appreciate the effort Pat, but there is no real reason there should be any sort of relevant number in there.
    In theory there can be various options, but for this specifc unit the only option should be a small sun-like shape. (On documents there is a wide variety of options, but for vehicle applied markings that is not really the case.) If there's anything relevant here, it should have been plainly visible.
    Also, it is not a square ;-) It should be shaped something like this: Panzertruppen

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Niels,

The bright square on the processed image above is that which appears to be a dark toned edging on the outside of the sign in the B&W footage still...like the edging on the German sign at Sainte Mere Eglise. I cannot see you link just now from my work PC, but I presume the 'Panzertruppen' marking would appear inside this edging?

Regards,

Pat

16. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #16 Jpz4, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    No, the edging itself is not a square. It has a subtle rhomboid shape. The 'arm of service' is never put inside a frame.

The problem is that the shape of the truck makes it difficult to determine the exact shape from this angle. I've been in doubt about this one for as long as I can remember. That's also the reason I've never publicly called this a rhomboid, until you identified the probable location as Francquetôt.
    If we would conclude it is square after all, it is basically an infantry marking. Far less interesting ;-)