Whitebeam Meet in Normandy 2018

Discussion in 'News' started by Pat Curran, May 30, 2017.

1. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi John,

Obviously my main area of interest would be NE of SME, in the general direction of Beuzeville-au-Plain. That location contains many glider landings, a number of which we have identified to one extent or another. I suppose I would try to select some specific Horsa crash landings which would seem to fit in with what I understand of my father's flight. This would include a location NE of SME, significant damage to the glider, a location near or on a road, etc. If I could locate these landings on a map ahead of time, it might make it easy to approach them. I do understand that it may not be possible to enter any particular field for various reasons. However, this large area could well contain landing sites of other gliders in which I and others may have an interest.

These are just some early thoughts, which will need development.

Charles

2. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Charles,

I think this will be a definite stop on the trip because of all the reasons you mention. We have all done a lot of work in this area with purchasing aerial photos, trying to identify gliders, la Londe, etc. As we work out the details either in advance, or during evening group discussions, it may be part of an area that we cover. Say something like an SME area tour.

Please make sure you let Pat know if you plan on staying at the Farmhouse, or if you are getting your own private accommodations.

John

3. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi All,
    Just a reminder that we still would like your feedback on if you are able to make the Normandy meeting and tour in 2018.
    Also let us know what you may like to visit, and if you have accommodations, or would like to stay in the Houlland farmhouse.
    Houlland.jpg
    We have the Farmhouse reserved for the nights of June 7th thru June 17th.

4. Adams453

Adams453 Guest

Hi Guys,
    I just got back from a trip to Normandy and have established a connection with a light plane pilot via one of my other contacts.

I was given a free 20 min flight from Carpiquet two years ago and had always wanted to see Normandy from the air (friend of a friend, but who was not around this trip).

On my most recent trip I was able to get an (approximately) one hour flight for two of us at just under 75 Euros each. I specifically wanted some photos of Longues-sur-Mer where 453 (RAAF) sqn was based for a while (for my book). I got them and my friend and I were able to tell the pilot where we wanted to go (pre-trip). For a few locations (LsM and Pegasus Bridge) he did more than one circuit to make sure I had good photos. I also have a video of some of the flight and between us my friend and I took 600+ photos (burst shots on a high rate were most often used).

Our flight went from Carpiquet, north of Bayeux to Pointe du Hoc then along the coast to Ouistreham, along the canal to Pegasus Bridge then back to Carpiquet.

If going up in a plane is something you'd like to do to see Normandy from the air then I'm happy to pass along the details of the pilot. I have no business association with this guy - but he was a good pilot and I loved being able to see things from the air (1500-1800ft most often).

email me if interested - thunderchief@ozemail.com.au

Adam

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Many thanks for this information Adam,

Were you able to shoot from an open canopy/window? Makes a big difference to the quality of the photos.

Please do send me the pilot's contact details by PM.

Regards,

Pat

6. Adams453

Adams453 Guest

Hi Pat,
    we had a little 4 seater (though others are available) so no open cockpit or window on our flight.

Card on the way.

Adam

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Adam,

Further to our email correspondence this evening, I have uploaded your aerial of Pointe du Hoc and the pilot's business card. Again, much appreciated:

adam_lunney_aerial_pointe_du_hoc.png
    Anyone interested in an aerial tour during our stay in Normandy next June?

Regards,

Pat

pilot_cedric_renouard_business_card.png

8. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    #68 John Szweda, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Pat,
    I'm considering it. I wonder how many locations we could get into a flight.

I'm also curious about any flight restrictions in areas ...

9. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello there

Just some small input..... despite having had a lifelong interest in aviation until May this year the only aircraft I'd ever been in were still on the ground. Some clients had requested a helicopter ride as part of their tour, forty minutes over Normandy... not bad for a first flight.
    Helicopter had the advantage of hovering of course, which aided photography (for the clients, not me- I was "working"...). The downside really is the cost, well above what Adam paid (although I haven't looked at many options to be fair).
    The route (pre-planned) was from Audrieu eastwards to Pegasus Bridge/Benouville, then back along the coast over Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha, Pointe du Hoc before heading back east and landing in Port en Bessin, so kind of the reverse to Adam's flight. Altitude was about 1200ft.
    The only possible things which may cause problems as as John pointed out, restrictions, but I think they only really apply when there are dignitaries in the area, and the weather.
    I would defintely make enquiries with the pilot Adam was with. A flight (maybe more) is certainly worth looking into I think.

Cheers

Sean

10. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Sean,
    I would be real interested to see if we could get over locations such as Bloody Gully, La Fiere, Sainte-mere-Eglise, and other similar locations were battle took place. It would be great for studying the terrain. I wonder if there would be a much higher altitude requirement.

11. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello John,

I know it's possible as Marty Morgan has sent me a photo or two in the past of his flights over said area. By the way, Bloody Gulch now has changed significantly with the construction of a dairy and more buildings near the cattle market.

Cheers

Sean

12. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Guys,

I once had a notion of making aerial photography a business sideline to dairy farming and done one flight in a single engine aircraft owned by the guy who serviced my milking machine...which of course should have indicated to me that his was the more lucrative of the two ways to make a living :)

The problem was the perspex canopy degraded the quality of my Canon lenses below acceptable limits. This is the reason why most commercial aerial photographers use the far more expensive helicopter option. The pilot would only open the canopy when he was at sufficient height to be able to recover from any resulting trim issues, and that resulted in in my photos being sharp but too small in image scale.

It sure would be great though to follow the flight path of the parachute serials from the west coast of the Cotentin and out over Utah Beach...preferably in a C-47 of course ;)

Regards,

Pat

13. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    ...which reminds me,

Did we not do a bit on the view out the door of a present day C-47 over the Cotentin?

The footage was on YouTube IIRC. Anyone know where that thread is or, more likely a post or two within an existing thread?

Thanks,

Pat

14. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Pat,
    I think the C-47 footage is here in this thread: Photos, air recon of area WSW of Orglandes, Normandy...

Meanwhile I am wondering about the thread of the Horsa crashed into a mound and hedgerow with a bunch of 82nd AB guys posed in front of it. I think you once got good photos from Phil Nordyke for the thread... I think I found a photo can link from the front of the Horsa.

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks John,

The thread you refer to is 'The BAR Horsa' located at

Research Currently Underway > Air > American > Troop Carrier & Glider

Interested to see what you have on this glider.

Regards,

Pat

16. kgm

kgm Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 26, 2012
    With regards to hiring a small aircraft next June for photo runs, Pat is correct with regards to problems taking high quality photographs through the windows. I have often rented and piloted small aircraft. Single-engine Cessna aircraft generally have a one-piece, curved windscreen and the side windows are hinged at the top and open outward from the bottom. Open the side windows in flight and this creates a lot of noise and the resulting unobstructed field of view to position a camera lens isn't all that great. Photos shot out of the front windscreen also have issues.

I agree, it would be great to fly the airlift tracks into the drop and landing zones. (I'd like to follow the Keokuk track into the field south of Pratt Field.) Count me in if we decide to do these flights. However, weight and balance often becomes an issue in light aircraft. A Cessna 172 (with four seats), for example, has a max gross take-off weight of just 2300 lbs (2450 lbs. in newer models). Depending on fuel load and other factors, you can be restricted to flying with just three "full-sized" adults, including the pilot. Regardless, it would be fun.

Kevin

17. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    As for aerial photography, your best option would be to go with a Piper Cub..... tandem two-seater that can fly low and slow with the windows open.

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 23, 2014
    Wiltshire, UK
    Has there been any updates regarding the numbers that will be attending the meet up? I've book the adjacent converted stable block so we'll be neighbours for around three days.

Areas of interest for me would be:-

La Londe - Can we get access?

Hiesville/Pratt location area - walking tour?

Retracing Capt. Henry Hobbs' route from his interrogation report - Just for you Chuck!

Glider landing area north of SME - Knotts photos

Holdy Horsa location.

19. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Neil,

I have no recent additions to the group, but I am sure more will come onboard as people's schedules for next summer become clearer.

Sean, if the touring has eased coming into the winter, can we ask you to have a chat with the owners of the
    • Holdy fields (Battery and Gayley crash sites)
    • Pratt field
    • La Londe fields
    If they are agreeable, could you ask them for contact telephone numbers and assure them that no digging or metal detecting will be carried out. In return, you can tell them that an ex-dairy farmer is available to help with milking ;)

Lots more sites of course, but let's start with these three and see how we get on.

Regards,

Pat

20. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi All,

Among the places already listed, one of my most desired places would be inside the red border and particularly the hedgerows mark with red arrows. aoi n of sme.jpg
    This would be the area of the Lt. Waverly Wray action.
    I want to try to study the terrain / field of fire and look at some locations where the German command staff was killed.
    Years ago I had exchanged some private emails with Phil Nordyke and we were in some agreement as to the general location, and he identified his suspected location where the officers were killed. Phil's source was a sketch map he had from one of his interviews that is long boxed away in his files.
    I had asked him if he ever came across this map, if he could scan it and email a copy to me, so I could try to decipher anything else from it.
    Either way, I'd like to study the area further... The walk would only be along the hedgerows and not through fields.

John