Extracts 'Battle of the Falaise Gap' (Civilian)

Discussion in 'Civilian' started by Pat Curran, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

One of my favorite books on the Normandy Campaign is a very old first edition (English translation) of 'Battle of the Falaise Gap' by Eddy Florentin. I have been think about opening a thread based on extracts from the book for some time now, delayed by a a quandary as to where on the Forum to locate the new thread. The book covers the battle from every angle - German, Free French, American, British, Canadian, Polish and not least, the unfortunate French civilian population caught in the middle.

We'll see how it works out, but for now I am going to post extracts from the book which relate to the French civilian population in this thread and open other dedicated threads in the relevant sub-forums for the individual combatant forces involved in this crucial end game to the Normandy Campaign.

Quite fittingly I think, the author opens the story with a civilian setting in the little village of Val Saint Pere, just outside the town of Avranches on the boundary between Normandy and Brittany. There is a First Communion ceremony underway in the local church and the date is Sunday, 30th July 1944.

Although the villagers and refugees in the church would not have know the details, Operation Cobra had been underway since the previous Tuesday, 25th July. The priest officiating at the service, Abbe Duguepeyroux, had been putting it off from the original date of 15th June due to the Landings, but had decided he could not wait another week.

Equipped with that wonderful gift of hindsight, we now know his decision would put the entire congregation in deadly peril.

With the bell 'Agatha' tolling from the belfry, the ceremony got underway despite the misgivings of many parishioners who could hear the sounds of battle becoming louder to the north. These misgivings were not helped by the knowledge that the neighbouring church in Ponts sous Avranches had been bombed earlier in the morning, with the small congregation of ten surviving only due to the stout three centuries old walls of the bell tower.

Yet another nearby church in Saint Jean de la Haize across the nearby See river, had been caught in an air attack on a German column retreating southwards from the Cotentin. The civilians there had been forced to clear the road of the hundred or so burnt out vehicles.

Returning to Val Saint Pere, Abbe Duguepeyroux, trying desperately not to show his fear, pressed on despite the sudden appearance of a Spitfire over the village. The aircraft caught sight of the movement around the church and dived to investigate. It is highly probable that the pilot suddenly saw the white dresses of the girls in the First Communion class and pulled out of the attack just in time to avoid a tragic error.

The tension in the village is described by Eddy Florentin thus:

Some of the parents had refused to allow their children to attend the ceremony because of the danger and these people, being in their own homes, were the first to hear the juggernaut that was the armour of General Middleton's VIII American Corps, who had liberated Coutances earlier in the week and now were racing to nearby Avranches.

When the first American salvos began falling near the church, the priest pretended he heard nothing but as the ceremony progressed, so did the intensity of the artillery bombardment. The organist looked at her husband as he played the violent under a huge stain glass window, which vibrated alarmingly at each concussion. Plaster began to fall on the children and the procession, normally an outdoor event, was held in the church on the direction of the now less reassured Abbe Duguepeyroux. One of the children in the procession, so afraid of the noise now reaching a crescendo, accidentally singed the bonnet of Mme Ponty, the organist. Her husband, M Ponty attempted to calm the situation by delving into a rendition of Stradella's 'Church Air'. The music failed in this task and the priest wisely decided to cut the ceremony short. Hugely relieved, the congregation were advised to go home as quickly as possible. However, they huddled for a time under the unusual vaulted porch of the church until there was a lull in the artillery fire and then did as their shepherd had instructed.

Two American aircraft appeared, which the author describes as 'reconnaissance' planes and apparently spent some time looking over the village before flying on.

On the road out of the village, some of the children met a tank which understandably instilled fear into them until someone noticed that it had a white star on its side. It was a a vehicle of Combat Command B, advancing as the right wing of the 4th US Armoured Division under Major General John S. Wood. The tip of the spear flung by the new 3rd Army Commander, George S. Patton. 'Blood and Guts' had arrived!

Avranches had been taken with no plan, no bridging equipment to cross the See River and with no time wasted fighting Germans. 'Blood and Guts' had arrived in Normandy!

-oOo-​

I had a look at the church in Val Saint Pere and sure enough, there is an unusual vaulted porch:
    [​IMG]
    I wonder is 'Agatha' still calling her congregation to mass on Sundays?

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

2. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    Thanks Pat

More please

Regards

Allan

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Allan,

The next bit of the book is German related, so I have just opened a new thread to hold those extracts pertaining to the German forces in:

Research Currently Underway > Ground Forces > German

We don't have a 'catch all' section so I am going to spread the extracts over the relevant Forum sub sections as they are currently set up. If this approach becomes too fragmented then we may have to consider some form of a 'catch all' section to deal with campaign wide threads such as this.

Regards,

Pat

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue from page 19...

Francois Briere was a building contractor in Avranches and decided that the early morning of 31st July was not to be spent in his bed. The previous evening he, like all the other inhabitants of the town, had welcomed the American advance column of twelve armoured cars, accompanied by a larger number of jeeps as they first entered and then bypassed the centre of town, taking up positions on Le Mont Jarry heights above the hairpin bends. Having waited four long years for this day, Francois raced to find his carpenter, Auguste Mace, and the two men set off as fast as they could run through the ruined town to the church of Notre Dame des Champs which was now just a shell with no roof remaining:
    [​IMG]
    The twin towers had been used by the Germans as a Flak O.P. but now the ruins lay deserted. With the help of his carpenter, Francois Briere climbed the northern tower, making sure the object of his enterprise did not fall away. The church could be seen for miles - as could the man now climbing to his destiny. When he reached the flat roof of the tower, he took out the object he had brought with him on the perilous climb and, despite bullets striking the granite balustrade, he unfurled the Tricolor and attached it to a railing. The wind caught it and the flag burst open, visible eight miles away from the ramparts of Mont Saint Michel.

The post war postcard below shows the restored church - the left most tower being the one from which the Tricolor flew:
    [​IMG]
    I also found the old postcard below showing the twin towers of the church and Mont Saint Michel just visible in the haze at upper right:
    [​IMG]
    When he had climbed down, he gathered up three fellow townspeople and made for the town hall. Having gained entry, the group made for the attic and located French, English, Belgian and American flags from the store. They proceeded to bedeck the balcony of the building with the flags, not paying very much attention to what was now in the square below them. When they had finished, they turned round and found to their amazement a panzer with its gun trained on them.

Having made a hasty withdrawal from the town hall, the group next ran into a German detachment marching west in two ranks, one each side of the street, on the Place Carnot - the scene of their earlier flag raising on the church! The Germans had two civilians with them as hostages.

The officer in charge spotted them:

The Germans let the hostages go and moved on. Just as they moved off, a huge barrage fell on the town. The German shells caught the followup units of the American 4th Armoured Division as they crossed the See River, setting four tanks on fire. The American calvary scout force on Mont Jarry, since morning reinforced with Shermans, now clashed with a strong force of Germans on the hairpin bends coming from the Sélune River direction, south of town.

Colonel Rudolf Bacherer had arrived in Avranches in an attempt to hold the Pontaubault bridge at all costs.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue...

We have learned in post #9 of the German thread how the first attempt by the Germans to retake Avranches was thwarted on the hairpin bends below Mont Jarry by elements of Combat Command B, US 4th US Armoured Division.

Now, on the following day, Tuesday 1st August, the inhabitants of Avranches; those that had remained in town, were to experience a new sight, an American bulldozer. Many were not sure of its purpose, much less its name. Some dubbed it the 'excavator' or 'shoveller' until someone heard the English term and it quickly became the 'boulldozere'.

As Colonel Bacherer's vehicles burned on the hairpin bends leading onto the Pontaubault road, the bulldozer eventually cleared Rue de la Constitution of debris and a vast column of American might began moving through the town southwards to the all important bridge at Pontaubault.

Alfred Marie, one of the town's inhabitants, noted what he saw:

By 2000 hours, the street was cleared and the huge column moved south through the elated towns people. The troops showered them with cigarettes and chocolate, while they in turn threw flowers onto the passing vehicles.

At the end of Rue de la Constitution, the column made up of General Clark's Combat Command A split into four convoys. Three convoys took the Ducey road towards the Selune dams and the Ducey bridge. The 4th convoy went down the hairpin bends, passing the smouldering German wrecks and headed down the road to the Pontaubault bridge.

It was much later in the autumn when the people of Avranches discovered that they had just given the send off for the Third Army.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue (p. 37)...

There is an interesting account through the eyes of the Mortain postman, Gautier (no first name given) as he cycles his rounds on the 1st and 2nd of August:

The map below shows the locations mentioned in this account:
    [​IMG]
    1. Mortain
    2. Saint Hilaire du Harcouet
    3. Martigny
    4. Parigny
    I cannot seem to locate the "Petit-Jesus Martigny crossroads". Yahoo Maps tells me its at the purple marker, but IGN disagrees, giving that location as le Clos du Feu, yet failing to give an alternative. Anyone know this area and able to point to this crossroads?

Thanks,

Pat

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue the French story from page 40...

I would be interested to know more of the two doctors and the Canon who are mentioned in this account by Canon Blouet himself. Dr Buisson appears to be this man, who died in 2003. The wiki page is in French and I don't trust Google Translate! - can anyone confirm both are one and the same please?

Thanks,

Pat

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue the French civilian story...

There was unease and uncertainty in Mortain on the morning of the 3rd August. The townspeople were aware of the approaching American liberators but remained hesitant and uneasy as to what to do while they waited.

Below is an IGN extract showing the location of Hill 314 overlooking the town of Mortain - the town cemetery is on its western slope:
    [​IMG]
    I also located the labels for 'le Point du Jour' and 'Belle Etoile' but not the exact location of the crossroads or the farm - anyone able to help with these two locations? I would also like to know more about the two father and son French army officers, Lieutenant-Colonel Josset and Major Josset.

The story continues...

I have failed to link Colonel Smith to the 8th Infantry Regiment, but he may be with some other unit of the 4th Infantry Division - anyone able to help with him?

I did find a French account on the 39-45.org Forum here which appears to link the shooting of the Germans to local gendarmery but I cannot be sure of the details from the very rough Google translation. The Josset men are also mentioned therein. Anyone able to give us the full story?

More from the same account by Canon Blouet...

Any help adding detail or corrections to this account would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    One more follow up part of Canon Blouet's account at Mortain, best suited to the French civilian perspective...the date is still Thursday 3rd August:

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue the French civilian story from page 57...

Searching the web for references to Saint Jean du Corail and the village priest, Ft. Berthelot, I found this page which appears to be commemorating a number of villagers who were shot by the Germans on the 31st July 1944 for allegedly being members of the Resistance. No mention is made by Eddy Florentin of this incident, but it might explain why the priest was in Mortain when the Germans returned a few days later.

I had a look at the GE 'street view' from outside the village church, where Ft Berthelot tended his flock and I note what appears to be Hill 314 in the distance to the northwest:
    [​IMG]
    Anyone able to confirm or correct my orientation?

The village's French Wiki page also refers to the shooting. Below is Google Translate's best attempt at the relevant paragraph:

The area seems to have had a very active Resistance presence, and from what I can read between the (French) lines, SOE operatives appear to have had a hand also.

Anyone have local knowledge of Resistance or SOE activity in the area during the summer of 1944?

Thanks,

Pat

11. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue from page 61...

The French civilian accounts from the book are particularly interesting in that they give a fuller picture of events pertaining to the Battle of the Falaise Gap. These are often full of small details which are all too often missing from books written from a purely military perspective.

The description below is a case in point, where the eye witness is describing the departure of General Paul "Papa" Hausser, commander of the German Seventh Army from his command post in Le Mans, in what appears to be just hours before the city was liberated by the 79th and 90th Infantry Divisions of Patton's new US Third Army on the 8th August:

As far as I can make out, the bunker on Rue de Chanzy still stands today and, if I have the correct location, can be seen on the left side of the street below, under the trees and through the open half gate:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sie!4v1436470326035!6m8!1m7!1s7m324mhUjSVBLCOBOWGLRA!2m2!1d48.001525!2d0.202511!3f353.06278643409473!4f-0.16929498665419374!5f0.7820865974627469" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:2" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Live 'Street View' - Press F5 to Reset

Its fascinating to think that Marc Landry must have been looking through one of the ground floor windows on the right above!

Letting my imagination run wild a bit, I had a look at the only footage in my library of the liberation of Le Mans in Tyler's '90th Infantry Division - Invasion of Normandy Series' DVD, and spotted an official looking young man walking through a large group of towns people as they help themselves to clothing from what seems to be a former German warehouse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A pure shot in the dark - but you never know :D

I wonder if any of the then young citizens of Le Mans recall their 'Day of Days':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would be fantastic to identify any of the townsfolk in this footage, which was shot on the 9th August.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Pat

12. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Cornwall/UK
    Thanks for the continuing story Pat

Ref "I wonder if any of the then young citizens of Le Mans recall their 'Day of Days'" - at Christmas 1944 125 Wing held a Christmas Party for the children of Diest, putting on a pantomime for them, and giving out presents, and I also wonder if the young citizens of Diest recall this pantomime, when these strangers came amongst them bearing gifts.

20/12/44

"…..News of our pantomime has got around and the Public Relations Dept. are to give it quite a bit of publicity. We have had a visit from a Canadian recording unit and several of the Canadians who are among the 7 Dwarfs were able to say a word about their new task. The recording will be broadcast from the B.B.C. and the C.B.C. We guess the folks way over in Canada will be delighted. We hope that the news of the date of the broadcast from the B.B.C. will come down to us so that we may have a listen.…."

Then panto was almost called off as most of the "cast" were elsewhere on operational duties, having been diverted due to high winds at Diest, and not all having got back in time.

24/12/44

The Wing party for the children of Diest was a great success and we are informed that for many a day what we did will be the main topic of conversation. The little guests arrived about 1430 hours and first they saw a first-rate programme of films, including one with the children’s favourite star – Mickey Mouse. Then of course, there were the eats, washed down with cocoa. F/O Holloway as Father X’mas, made his arrival in a modified Auster, and to hear the excited exclamations of the kiddies was a real tonic. From the beneficial old gentleman they each received a gift of a toy – some a doll, some an engine, others a ship and so on. They were toys purchased by all members of the Wing. Our chocolate ration too, saved for quite a while, enabled each guest to have a package of this much beloved sweetmeat. How their eyes lit up when they saw their gifts and how carefully they nursed their parcels, some even saving their tea, presumably so that they could take it home to share with their parents. A bevy of little girls came on to the stage to say “thank you” and to hand us their gift of a bunch of holly bearing a card expressing their greetings and thanks. Together the kiddies, at the call of an interpreter voiced their own appreciation, after which the official representative of the town told us what a great and generous people we were. He wished us all the compliments of the season and with him the kiddies said “God Bless England, God Bless the R.A.F., God Bless Belgium”. Next came carols by F/Lt Bill Williams’ choir and finally “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. At first it seemed as if it would not be possible to do the show. The cast was away and it appeared hopeless. Early in the afternoon the co-directors, F/O Williams and F/Sgt. Standish got together and decided, after a big argument, that as the Queen, Snow White, the Witch and two Dwarfs were available, it could be done. Volunteers were sought and Capt. Crumplin and Capt Griffin came forward to play the Prince and Huntsman respectively, the Sergeant interpreter came in as the Spirit of the Mirror, Pte Warman and LAC Wood sportingly volunteered to play “Gee-up” the horse, and the vacant dwarf’s roles were filled by F/O Smith (130 Adj), F/O Williams and F/Sgt Standish (the co-director). F/Sgt Clay (the property master) and “Bill”, the 130 Sqdn driver. LAC McNeill of the Squadron orderly room came in as the man of all tasks. By the quick and ready co-operation of all, it was possible to recast the show, rehearse in odd corners, seek out the costumes, make alterations here and there and then put the show on. And so, like the story, all ended happily. The thanks of all of us are due to everyone too numerous to detail, who helped in every way.

I have a copy of the photo of the girls on stage with Gee-up and several of the Dwarves.

As an extra - F/Sgt Clay, only a few days later at Y.32 Ophoven, where 125 Wing had moved on 31 December, earned the British Empire Medal for his actions (citation) During the morning of 1st January, 1945, the airfield from which 130 Squadron was operating was attacked by enemy aircraft, resulting in an R.A.F. aircraft catching fire. Flight Sergeant Clay, with complete disregard for his own safety and whilst the airfield was still being attacked, taxied two other aircraft away thus saving them from certain destruction. Ammunition from the burning aircraft was exploding at the time. He then directed the fire tender crew in their fire fighting operations and by his efforts, over 200 gallons of petrol were saved. Flight Sergeant Clay set a fine example of courage and devotion to duty.

It was published in the London Gazette of 3 July 1945 as F/Sgt Phil Clay, by then a Warrant Officer, was shot down on 19 April 1945, and did not return for a few weeks.

Captain Crumplin and Captain Griffin, both Army, were two of the 125 Wing Air Liaison Officer's, and I have a photo of Capt. Griffin bringing the latest news of the battles to the air and ground crews of 130 (Punjab) Squadron at their dispersal point only a few miles from the front line at B.82 Grave on 23 October 1944. The latest “gen” is avidly sought by all and sundry.

Sorry to hijack your piece - but your comment bought this event to mind, and then mention of Clay and Griffin in the ORB warranted further comment.

Meanwhile, back in Normandy in August 1944....

regards

Allan

13. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Allan,

Great story on the 125 Wing party and panto - one of thousands which could be told from the human interest side of the conflict. The weight of numbers might at first seem daunting, but I wonder if its possible with enough computing power (and funding) to create some kind of giant Google Earth layer onto which all these stories and timelines could be mapped :cool:

I have in my mind's eye a darkened globe like the one that appears when you open Google Earth and then as you zoom down all these story timelines appear as shimmering points of light. The really cool thing would be if you could join up all the dots - photos, footage, narrative etc to recreate the past.

Maybe I shouldn't have had that second glass of red wine tonight :angel:

Regards,

Pat

14. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    And...

Some more on the Le Mans Bunker here. It looks to be the same location I have on the street view above. I see Marc Landry is referenced therein.

Also, Eddy Florentin has a note in the back of the book regarding Marc Landry's account:

Regards,

Pat

15. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Cornwall/UK
    Hello Pat
    Nice idea about the second glass of red wine, and also your idea for the nice story timelines.

Dad told me how they voluntarily gave up one meal each, per day, to release sufficient food supplies to be sent in to Bergen-Belsen concentration camp when it was liberated. 125 Wing were based nearby at B.118 Celle, apparently this was not only 125 Wing but other allied units in the vicinity as well.

regards

Allan

16. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue from page 71...

Further insight regarding the liberation of Le Mans can be gleamed from the following extract pertaining to the sole remaining crossing of the Sarthe River in the town, the Gambetta Bridge. The date is Tuesday, 8th August:

Major-General Lunsford E. 'Bug' Oliver commanded the aggressive 5th Armoured Division right through the War. The division had only landed at Utah Beach a fortnight before the events being described here on the 26th July and was the first to reach the Seine River later in August.

I presume author means the bridge, not the radio station.

I wonder if any of the named individuals feature in the footage above? Hopefully some local historian will find us in a Google search and will be able to put names to faces - now that would be something!

There is footage somewhere of a M10 tank destroyer firing shells across a bridge with an officer on the ground spotting with binoculars. I don't know that the location is Le Mans, but it should be checked in any event.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

17. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Cornwall/UK
    Thanks Pat - more please!

regards

Allan

18. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue...

p.113 refers.

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

19. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To continue from p.122...

'Any further advance for Combat Command A of the 5th Armoured Division was banned. On Leclerc's right wing, General Oliver's Shermans halted in front of the level crossing at the entrance to Argentan, gunning and machine gunning any cover that might be suspect. This fracas disturbed no one, because it brought liberation and was a moment worth living through.

On N 158, while the armour passed in good order, a young girl went on milking her cows, stopping only to decorate horns with the branches cut by the bullets.

Argentan lay ahead. The Americans had planned to enter the town that evening. But they reproached the French for having taken the liberty of passing east of the Ecouves forest, reserved for the 5th U.S. Armoured Division, for having cluttered up the roads south of Mortree, for having impeded the fuel supplies of Combat Command, in short for having retarded the attack for six hours. Six hours to the advantage of an infantry battalion, the 116th Panzer's, coming direct from Mortain to oppose in Mortree the advantage of the Shermans on Argentan.

On the arrival of the advance guards of 5th U.S. Armoured Division, a citizen of Mauvaisville, Major Quatrecoup, approached a high-ranking American officer.

"The enemy troops still holding the town are weak. They are short of heavy equipment. Their isolation, their lack of cohesion and the lack of liaison with their artillery give us the chance of a great coup with even a handful of troops."

The American called for an interpreter. What was this civilian doing interfering?

"I have given you the near certainty of liberating Argentan at little cost. You need only three squads of men with plenty of grenades and tommy guns, supported by artillery and in liaison with the tactical air force to isolate and neutralize the enemy defences."

The interpreter translated while Major Quatrecoup bent over a map showing three lines of progression. The American listened courteously and said nothing.

"This affair has been carefully studied," continued the Frenchman. "I propose leading one of these columns, and will find you guides for the others."

The officer of the 5th Armoured Division turned to the interpreter:

"Plan of no possible interest."

The Calvary of Argentan had just been decreed.'

More follows...

Regards,

Pat

20. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male