30 Assault Unit in Normandy

Discussion in 'British & Commonwealth' started by Pat Curran, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    I don't know Niels,

I would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that these devices had to impact the ground before exploding. One of the first books I purchased on the Normandy Campaign mentioned the possibility that an extract from a reconnaisance photo showed hand grenade impact craters around one of the gun positions at Brecourt but I could never see them when I purchased a full resolution copy of the photo.

Many years ago when I was collecting the original 'World War II' magazine published by Orbis in the early 1970's, they gave away a number of wall poster copies, one of which was designed to warn British children against picking up un-exploded munitions. The poster showed a number of German devices, one of which matched the description of the 2 inch mortar bomb like device. I still have the bound magazines but not the poster.

Regards,

Pat

2. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #22 Jpz4, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    I've looked into the different types of cluster munitions and so far the description seems to match the 'SD 1'. Size, fins and basic design seem to fit and it does look a lot like 2 inch mortar rounds. The 1 in the name stands for 1 kg BTW. The butterflies (SD 2) were 2 kg bombs.

The book seems to suggest both types were used, but only the 'SD 1' seems to be confirmed. The fluttering sounds could point to the 'SD 2'.

Different types of fuses were used on german cluster munitions. Some exploding in the air, others on impact or with a time delay.

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Appreciated Niel thanks,

Do you recall the aerial view of the cyclinderical object we looked at on the old Battlebus forum a few years back? IIRC, it appears in the BP re-supply film #1965.05. The location is established closer to Utah Beach, but I cannot recall exactly where as I don't have access to my PC just now.

If you get a chance, have a look at it to see if it might be a canister for these bomblets.

Regards,

Pat

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Just having a look at an extract from the WOOLFORCE War Diary...
    • 10 June 1700 - Landed at Ste. Marie du Mont
    • 10 June 2300 - Sustained 20 casualties through enemy bombing. (Two (2) killed)
    • 11 June - Location changed to Ste. Mere Eglise
    • 14 June - Moved to Benzeville en Plain. Patrols were sent out to Azeville & Emondville. Position of "PIKEFORCE" established at Douvres.
    • 15 June - Patrol sent out to St. Marcouf.
    • 17 June - Report on activities of "PIKEFORCE".
    • 17/18 June - Examination was carried out of three "Crossbow" sites at La Haye-du-Puits. 6 E/5 203994, 146988, 176995.
    Anyone able to convert the three coordinates of the Crossbow sites to Latitude and Longitude for me please?

Thanks,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    BTW,

For readers wondering where 'Benzeville au Plain' is located, read 'Beuzeville au Plain', the hamlet NE of Sainte Mere Eglise on the D17 road and location of the 'Chalk 66' Memorial site.

Regards,

Pat

6. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    203994:
    Latitude : 49° 25' 49'' N
    Longitude : 1° 31' 14'' W

146988:
    Latitude : 49° 25' 20'' N
    Longitude : 1° 35' 55'' W