Whitebeam Meet in Normandy 2018

Discussion in 'News' started by Pat Curran, May 30, 2017.

1. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    That sounds great, Neil. Looking forward to seeing the shot.

Charles

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Charles,

For the first photo request above, the easternmost crash site is the subject of Paul's video back in 2012 following research we done on the old Battlebus forum. I posted a link on our FB page.

Regards,

Pat

3. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Greetings,

Winding down my trip to France. Great visit in Boissey- photos/few stories to add to Charlie’s Church once home in Canada.

I saw a pamphlet advertising 19 minutes of unseen archive footage from Normandy’s 100 days. It’s in a circular cinema in Arromanches-perhaps known to you already. Altho you have a busy schedule, some of the 74th
    D-Day festival activities (www.DDAYFESTIVAL.COM) look interesting.

Wish you all the best in your research endeavours. Safe travels.

Ellen

4. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013

Hi Pat,

I looked on the FB site for the video, but only got a message that the attachment may have been removed, or, permission to share may not have been given. I'm no expert on FB, so I don't know just what is happening. I note that I did try to sign up as a member some time ago, but maybe that did not take.

Charles

5. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Charles,
    You are a member of facebook, but you were not approved as a member of the group page for Whitebeam...
    I did go and approve your request now, so if you try to look at the video again, it should work just fine.

John

6. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi John,

The link that Pat included in his FB comment yesterday does not seem to be there now. Does it have to be reestablished?

7. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Charles,
    I believe it is there... It is the video of Paul Woodadge in the hedgerow.

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Charles,
    Are you able to view the video now?

Pat

9. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    No Pat, I have not been able to get the video. I have had little experience on FB, so that might be the problem. I have selected "videos" from the home page, but did not see anything about Paul Woodage. Under "Photos", there is a current picture of a curved roadway. Is that the location? On the May 17 discussion entry where you brought up the crash site, there was a link to the video, but it was removed apparently because I had not been approved as a member of the Whitebeam group page. I see that that has been rectified by John. Point me in the right direction and I should be able to pull up the video. Thanks.

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Charles,

Try this link. I'll get you a Google Maps link in a sec...

Pat

11. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi Pat. The following is a screenshot of what I get when trying the link. I know it is oversized, but wanted to be sure you could see what I am seeing. Please delete it if you wish, as I don't see any value to saving it.

Link to Google.png

12. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Charles,

Don't know what the issue is...here is the link from Paul's own FB page. Try clearing your browser cache in case that's the issue.

Can another reader who is FB 'friends' with Paul Woodadge check the link please?

BTW, I erroneously pointed to the wrong glider on John's glider map extract which he inserted into post #156 above; the correct location for the video showing Paul presenting the print to Forest J. Nichols is shown circled in GREEN below, with my error shown circled in YELLOW. Apologies for the confusion:

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Pat

13. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks Pat,

I'll try clearing the browser cache, and wait to see if another reader has a problem with pulling up the video.

Charles

14. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Charles,

Just thinking...are you FB 'friends' with Paul Woodadge?
    If not send him a 'friend' request; that could also be the issue.

Regards,

Pat

15. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    That is my thought exactly. I'll see what I can do.

Charles

16. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi John,
    Just a few more spots to look at if possible.

In the Historical Record for the 319th GFAB, it is reported that the Serial 32 gliders, carrying 319th personnel, landed at coordinates 36.5-97.7. Translated into Lat. and Long., it places the landings as centering right in the La Londe front yard. See Google image:

319 th landing area.png

Now we know that gliders were landing all around this area, so I take it that the coordinates are a general approximation as to where they landed; a good many at different locations. Since I expect that you and others will be in this area, a few snaps may be in order.

In this same area, the 319th GFAB record approximates the location of the assembly area to which troops gathered, reportedly completed at 0500 hours on 7 June. Translating the coordinates reported as 37.1-97.4, the assembly area is located as follows:

319 fgab assembly area.png

By the way, I had estimated the distance from a German Strong point, to the 319th GFAB assembly area, to be about 1000 yards, in post #111 of the Elmira Horsa Glider thread. I checked this with the Google distance measurement feature, and it turns out be almost exactly the same.

With respect to the German Strong point, see the following two images, submitted by Pat, with discussion, on Post #35 of the same thread:

German strong point 1944 image.png

German strong point Google image.png

These images are showing the familiar intersection of the D115 and D17 roads. I don't know how much photgraphy can be taken here, but I'm sure you will make the necessary judgement on the matter.

All for now.

Charles

17. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Charles,
    I had been reading up on some of the 319th GFAB.
    One other thing I read recently was that Major Wilcoxson had moved the assembly point at 37.1- 97.4 about 1/4 mile west when they found the first location held by the Germans.
    I was also interested in if any sign remains beyond that wall and hedgerow and I plan to take some photos there. The treeless hedgerow make for a great opportunity in many directions.

John

18. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi John,

With respect to the movement of the assembly point, using the Google measurement tool, and assuming a due west movement, we would find the assembly to have arrived in the yard behind the La Londe farm bldg. See below:

319th second assembly area.png

Of course this is somewhat of a guess since we don't know the precise direction of movement.

As for the German strong point, wouldn't that be a surprise to see some remnant of the temporary installation there!

Charles

19. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi All, especially those who will be taking part in the Whitebeam excursion into Normandy.

I expect that you should be packed by now and ready to go. Good luck and have a great time. Take a bunch of pictures. I would think that a good deal could be learned by just being "on site", at locations where so much activity took place so many years ago. I look forward to hearing about it all when you return. Be safe.

Charles

20. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Charles,
    I am on the way home awaiting the ferry in Cherbourg. We had one fantastic trip for sure! Made a bunch of new friends; real nice people, including a French farmer who brought us to his shed and proceeded with the aid of an axe and hammer to chop off an eight inch length of glider tow rope for us to take home! Life does not get much better than that.

Pat