Extracts 'Eye Witness D-Day'

Discussion in 'German' started by Pat Curran, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    The entry for 11 June is odd. Must be 13 June, the day of the German counter-attack against Carentan.

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks for the feedback Guys,

Its all that there is from Leutnant Poppel's diary, but there are quite a few other unrelated German accounts in the book.

Gerfreiter Werner Kortenhaus, 21st Panzer Division:
    'I can paint you a strange picture which stays with me still. On 28 June we mounted an attack west of Caen and succeeded in getting through the British line. The battle lasted a very long time, from 10 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon, but around midday there was a lull in the battle.

Suddenly the background was filled with dance music. Some infantrymen had gone and played with an English radio set, and dance music had come on, filling the air. It was a little unusual.

One day, right at the beginning of the invasion, we were standing around our tanks quietly smoking cigarettes, with no sound of battle at all, when out of the blue a light English tank came shooting out from our right, out of some woods, came towards us, went between some tanks and crashed into a tree. Nobody had fired because we were taken completely by surprise. Two English soldiers got out of the tank, they were wounded and gave themselves up. I imagine that had panicked because they had some lost their way and suddenly found them found themselves in the middle of so many tanks and then made a bad reaction.

So of course we were interested to have a look inside an English tank, and inside I found a large thermos flask. My crew were very pleased because it was full of delicious hot coffee.

A few days later this thermos flask slipped out of my hands and broke - and I was really sworn at by the crew. The wireless operator always had to look after the provisions and the thermos flask was a real prize. When I broke it I was much told off.'

Not a lot of tactical information in this account but I still like to read this type of simple every day detail. It somehow makes the story of Normandy that bit more human.

Regards,

Pat

3. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #23 Jpz4, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Pat, Pöppel's account is probably taken from his book: Heaven and Hell: War Diary of a German Paratrooper.
    I've never gotten around to getting a copy but it's been on my list for a long time. (I'd prefer the German original BTW)

I assume Werner Kortenhaus is the same who wrote an important book about his division. He himself was a member of 4./Pz.Rgt.22 BTW.

In my opinion war is ultimately about the human aspect, not the big picture. That means trying to better understand how it was experienced and every little story helps with that.

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Niels, I should have started Kortenhaus's accounts in the correct order.

This is an editor's note just prior to the first account by this man:

'Gefreiter Werner Kortenhaus of the 21st Panzer Division stared into the Normandy night above him. On patrol north of Falaise he and his four comrades had become alarmed at the sounds of aircraft flying overhead. Usually aircraft passed high above them but these were flying low, much lower than usual, then zooming up. They suspected that agents or supplies were being dropped for the French Resistance and decided to investigate. They found nothing, but still they could hear aircraft. Worried, Korttenhaus and his patrol turned back to their tank harbour.'

Gefreiter Werner Kortenhaus, 21st Panzer Division [p73-74]
    'As we got close to the village where out tanks were dug in, the moonlight was coming through the clouds, and we could see that the crews were at their tanks. This was unusual because most of them would normally have been asleep. 'What's going on?' I asked. It occurred to me that it might be some sort of night exercise.

They sais, 'No, it's an alarm.' This was about 00.45. As the others prepared the tank, I remembered that my laundry was still with the French woman who did our washing. I woke her and said, 'I need my clothes straight away.' She said, 'But they're still wet.' I said, 'Imust have them anyway,' and paid for them and ran to my tank.'

There follows a second editor's note:

'As Kortenhaus hurried back to his tank, the first of the Allied airborne troops, parachutists and a small glider force from the British 6th Airborne Division, had already landed near the Orne River. As the minutes passed more and more British parachutists decended on Normandy, like so much confetti in the night. Nearly 5000 of them had landed by 1am.'

Regards,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Another extract from Kortenhaus:

Gefreiter Werner Kortenhaus, 21st Panzer Division [p92]
    'I would say we were ready to march at 2 a.m. at the latest. As well as the earlier alarm, news of an airborne landing at Caen had meanwhile come through on the telephone, and we were ready to go. The engines of the tanks were running, but we didn't receive any marching orders. We thought 'If we have to march, let's go now while it's dark and the enemy planes can't see us.'

We waited for orders, and we waited. Just stood there, inactive by our tanks. We couldn't understand why we weren't getting any orders at all'

and...

Gefreiter Werner Kortenhaus, 21st Panzer Division [p146]
    'The long road from Falaise to Caen rises to a hill where one can suddenly get a view over Caen, and as we drove over this hill we got a shock because the city of Caen was burning. I had never seen the city before, never been there at all, and all I could see was a huge black cloud over Caen, as though oil had been burnt. At that point, I realized for the first time that I was at war.

As we got closer to Caen our tanks had difficulty getting through the city because the streets were covered with rubble. So we lost a lot of time while some tanks went west around the city and others went east.'

Niels, do we know where the 21st Panzer 'tank harbour' was in the Falaise area?

Thanks,

Pat

6. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #26 Jpz4, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    I'm not sure where the individual companies were, but the HQ of Pz.Rgt.22 (100) was at Aubigny. The HQ of I.Abt. was at Jort and that of II.Abt. at Fresné-la-Mère.

7. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello there

All of Pöppel's account seems to have been lifted almost directly from his memoirs; published in English as "Heaven and Hell: The War Diary of a German Paratrooper". My copy was published by Spellmount in 1988.
    The movement described is the counter-attack towards Carentan on the 13th. He mixed up the dates, or the translator did (I don't have a copy of the German original) and stated the counter-attack was on the 12th. It seems the error was compounded when the account was published in the "Eyewitness…" book by changing the date back instead of forwards.
    As such, all the movement listed makes perfect sense :)

Cheers

Sean

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks for the clarification and addition information Guys,

I'll be digging into the accounts again later.

Pat

9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    These two accounts show the devastating effect of Allied air power on the attempts by German armoured units to move up to the invasion area by road. No dates are given but from the location in book - 'D-Day, 6th June 1944', the dates must be from the 6th or shortly thereafter.

General Fritz Bayerlain, Panzer Lehr [p.145-146]
    'I was driving in front of the middle column with two staff cars and two headquarters signal vans along the Alencon-Argentan-Falaise road. We had only got to Beaumont sur Sarthe when the first fighter-bomber attack forced us to take cover. For once we were lucky. But the columns were getting further apart all the time.

Since Army had ordered radio silence, we had to maintain contact by dispatch riders. As if radio silence could have stopped the fighter-bombers and reconnaissance planes from spotting us! All it did was prevent division staff from forming a picture of the state of the advance - if it was moving smoothly or whether there were hold-ups and losses, and how far the spearheads had got.

I was forever sending officers or else seeking out my units myself.

We were moving along all five routes of advance. Naturally our move had been spotted by enemy air-reconnaissance. And before long the fighter-bombers were hovering above the roads, smashing cross-roads, villages, and towns along our line of advance, and pouncing on the long columns of vehicles.'

Much the same fate was befalling the 12th SS Panzer...

Brigadefuhrer Kurt Meyer, 12th SS Panzer Division, aged 33 [p.146]:
    'A chain of Spitfires attacks the last section of the 15th Company. Missiles and cannon reap a devilish harvest. The section is travelling through a narrow pass; it is impossible to get away. An elderly French woman is coming towards us screaming 'Murder, Murder!' An infantryman lies on the street. A stream of blood comes out of his throat - his artery has been shot through. He dies in our arms.

The munition of an amphibious vehicle explodes into the air - high tongues of flame shoot up. The vehicles explodes into pieces.'

Anyone able to suggest a location for this last account?

Thanks,

Pat

10. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Niels,
    Earlier you mentioned the FJR 6 had some 7,5 cm recoilless guns. I'm assuming they are the Leichtgeschütz 40.
    Did I also read something somewhere about a rocket gun called a 8,8 cm Raketenwerfer 43 (Puppchen).
    I read it somewhere but don't remember where.

Can you tell me a little bit about them, and did the FJR 6 also have these, or who did?

John

11. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Not Niels but….

The Püppchen was kind of like a Panzerschreck on wheels. It fired a similar (but not the same) 8,8cm projectile.
    According to Von der Heydte, 14.Kompanie of FjR.6 (their A/T company) had initially one platoon of four 7,5cm Pak40, and three Panzerschreck platoons with six Panzerschreck each. He said that later on this company received some Püppchen, but I'm not sure how many or when.

As for other units that may have had them, I'll defer to Niels.

To your first point, yes, the Leichtgeschütz 40 was their 7,5cm recoilles gun.

Cheers

Sean

12. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for your help!
    That helped me now recall where I read it. It was in the Foreign Military Studies # B-839 on page 3 where they mention the Puppchen, but no mention of the Leichtgeschutz.
    I mentioned the Puppchen because of the earlier mention of a rocket gun, and wondered if this was possibly what they meant, or nebelwerfers. Also the Band of Brothers series, Carwood Lipton gets wounded in Carentan by what looked like a Puppchen. (At least that what they may want us to believe).
    On another note, ever since wondering about Mark Bando's interest in a ghost battery covering exit #3, I have taken interest in trying to understand all the German artillery and guns in the Utah area. Emails to Niels have been a great help, along with some books purchased while in Normandy this year by Alain Chazette.
    It was interesting that while we were stopped at the Dick Winters monument in Normandy, that you (Sean) and I were likely the only ones who knew we were just 500 feet from 4 guns of the 13th company 919th.

Can't wait for Niels detailed book to be completed!!!

John

13. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #33 Jpz4, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Püppchen appear to have been assigned in the course of the fighting to provide additional antitank capabilities to units and/or to replace losses. I've not found them in anyone's inventory on D-Day. They had a bit of a problematic position since production was stopped because their problems did not outweigh the benefits compared to other weapons.

As for my book, the chapter on the 709.I.D. is currently being finished. It should also be the last part of Volume 1 to be completed! This chapter has been fighting me every step of the way as it's a bit of a puzzle with pieces missing and some others being quite distorted. ;-)
    Other division's that will be included are the 77., 91., 243. 265. and 353.I.D. A lot will be told about LXXXIV.A.K. which was responsible for Normandy and for once the Osttruppen will get plenty of attention as well. Many other units will be included but choices have to be made. I'm afraid the SS and Luftwaffe formations will show up in Volume 2.

14. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    That phrase alone is extremely encouraging.

15. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    #35 Jpz4, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    'FWIW:
    On 13 May it was reported that 7th Armee had been assigned 130 Püppchen (33 rounds each).
    On 3 June the Oberquartiermeister of the Armee reported that 15 of these were assigned to the II.Fs.K. and the other 115 to LXXXIV.A.K. (That's Normandy in case you're wondering)
    Things is, on 20 June AOK 7 requested the O.Qu. of Ob West to immediately bring up the 120* Püppchen that had been promised, but were still at Regensburg.

I assume that these were shipped shortly after since on 29 June O.Qu. West informed O.Qu 7 that ammunition for 110* Püppchen was on its way to Normandy.

All of this should explain why Püppchen only begin to show up in early July.

As for the weapon itself, in September 1943 it was already considered an interim solution and weapons lost would not be replaced. I've no original documents that show when production of the Püppchen was halted, but apparently it was in February 1944. Production of ammunition did however continue and was at 40.000 rounds a month in the spring of 1944. On 1 May there were 58.000 rounds in stock for the whole German army (incl. SS and Fj.). Production was however being phased out.

Generally speaking, these weapons were used to increase the antitank capabilities of the infantry, which is why they were typically assigned to the 14.Kp. of such regiments (as were the Panzerschreck). In some cases where regular antitank battalions (Pz.Jg.Abt.) could not yet be formed, a so-called Pz.Zerstörer-Abt. (tank destroyer battalion) was formed, entirely equipped with Panzerschreck and Püpchen rather than antitank guns. This mainly seems to have happened on the Eastern Front and is irrelevant for Normandy so I've not looked into them in detail.

Hope this helps

* It is unclear why these numbers differ from 130.