Aerial photo Turqueville

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by marketc47, Jun 10, 2019.

1. marketc47

marketc47 Active Member
    Researcher

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with an aerial photo of the village of Turqueville? Post war, war or before the war.
    With help of a translater I learned where the German HQ was, but want to see confirmation on photo if there was a building at that spot back then.

2. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    To get you started: 1950. Will try to post a better and earlier version later.

I sure would be interested to learn more about the German presence in that area.

Turqueville 1950.jpg

Attached Files:

3. marketc47

marketc47 Active Member
    Researcher

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks. Well, I am not an expert, but wanted to figure out where the Georgian/German HQ could be. The story is known, they, or a large part of them, surrendered to American POWs. I just read today that it was at a farm south of the town, so I need to go back to my board.
    Anyway, I did see a 1941 pic of a farm with German soldiers, and was told it was the command post.
    An old lady told that the German HQ was at the farm on the east side of the road, the white square of the yard is visible in this photo. Not sure if further souh is a farm that would fit, as I believe it was a large structure, with multiple buildings.

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Hans,

My understanding is that the German C.P. was located in the Manor at the D129/D67 crossroads where the much published photo of Wilbur Shanklin with his Georgian prisoner was staged.
    Here is a less well know photo from Photo Finder of the same 'photo opportunity'
    [​IMG]

Is this the location you are looking at?

Regards,

Pat