Battle of Epsom June 29th-30th Das Reich Regiment Command Post

Discussion in 'German' started by Marty Patterson, Feb 29, 2020.

1. MKenny

MKenny Active Member
    Researcher

Sep 24, 2017
    Male
    #21 MKenny, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. Marty Patterson

Feb 19, 2020
    Male
    I've seen the website and it does provide some good data. The attached photo shows the train station sometime after July. Diekmann was killed on June 30th. I suppose it could have looked like this in late June. The photo you have attached does show a lot of pockmarks all around the area. I'm not sure I can tell enough detail to make out artillery evidence or what those are. There would have been air bombardments also but not sure they targeted the train station. Another possible location for the regimental headquarters is the Church. Looks like they really hammered it.

Attached Files:

3. MKenny

MKenny Active Member
    Researcher

Sep 24, 2017
    Male
  4. MKenny

MKenny Active Member
    Researcher

Sep 24, 2017
    Male
    If my memory serves me well the claimed bombing raid on Noyers Bocage mentioned in German sources did not actually happen.

5. Marty Patterson

Feb 19, 2020
    Male
    This is a very good map Thank you. I think you are correct. The bombing mission either missed Noyers-Bocage or was never suppose to happen. Villers-Bocage was bombed. Some confusion on if Villers or Noyers was the intended target. Some of the soldier's accounts talk about the orchards. You can see them very well on the map. The battles were somewhat run together. The battle of Epsom ended on June 30th and that was when Diekmann was killed by either artillery, mortar fire, and possibly aerial bombing which I do not believe. The actual battle of Noyers-Bocage happened in early July and I suspect that is when most of the village damage occurred. I just have to believe that Diekmann was killed near the train station or at the Church. Both were totally destroyed either in the Epsom battle or the Noyers battle. I wish I could find a native of Noyers-Bocage who might have some historical knowledge of the two locations. It was said that Diekmann's death occurred on the north side of the village when he stepped outside of his bunker. It didn't say that the bunker was destroyed at that time. That most likely happened later. Makes me lean towards his death being caused by artillery fire near the train station. Evidence of old bunkers near the train station would be nice to know.

6. Marty Patterson

Feb 19, 2020
    Male
    Thanks MKinney. The noose is tightening. June 12 1944 Noyers-Bocage Diekmann.jpg July 6 1944 Noyers-Bocage Diekmann.jpg Noyers Bocage Current possible Diekmann death locations.jpg

7. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    Not sure if this will help, here is one of the directives issued to 2nd TAF that day; I did not transcribe the details for No.2 Group as it does not fit within my concern at present. I will check and see what it has.

At what time of the day was he killed?

Operation Order Pro-Forma TAF/217

1.A. (1) Villers Bocage, Thury Harcourt and Conde-sur-Noireau are the chief centres through which the enemy is getting supplies and reinforcements to his forces opposing VIII Corps.

(2) The main channel of supply from the east passes through Dreux/Chartres/Nogent le Rotreu/Alencon/Argentan/Laigle.

B. (2) RAF Bomber Command is attacking Villers Bocage at 302000 hours dropping a preporation of 1000 and 500lb long delay up to 48 hours. Ninth Air Force attacked Thury Harcourt and Cnnde-sur-Noireau between 1700 and 1900 hours dropping a proportion of 500lb long delay up to 12 hours.

2. (a) Priority 1: To stop movement through Thury Harcourt and Conde-sur-Noireau by attacks through-out the night 30 June/1 July paying particular attention to any traffic congestion caused by Ninth Air Force bombing. (b) Priority 2: To harass and mulify any attempts by the enemy to by pass Villers Bocage after Bomber Commands attack. (c) Priority 3: To attack and harass enemy movement on the roads leading towards Caen and the battle area to the west of Caen throughout the night 30 June/1 July.