4 (Free French) SAS in Brittany

Discussion in 'Free French' started by Pat Curran, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dave M

Dave M Guest

Hi, Thanks for adding me to your membership. I hope this is acce[ptable,as I have not found anywhere else to make my opening post.

I am researching the military career of a member of the Gilder Pilot Regiment on behalf of his elderly children.

His details are Sgt Crockett, George 5625607. I know that he was a member of 2 Wing, C sqn X Flight and flew into Arnhem carrying members of the US 306th Fighter Control Sqn.

I am now trying to tie down his earlier career. It seems that X Flight were formed from B Sqn especially for Dingson 35A, and that all those selected had experience of the Sicily operations.

I have been trying to track down the Raid reports for Dingson 35A to establish whether Crockett was part of it. I see that you have one of the Glider raid reports, do you have similar for the other gliders on the mission. If so, would it be possible to see it?

Also, please can you advise me how to track down Crocketts time with the GPR? Where do I need to look to find details of his postings?

2. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    Welcome Dave, I hope someone can assist you in your quest.

Cheers

Allan

3. patelie

patelie Active Member
    Researcher

It's said but like this, it's wrong..
    You must say 'First Free French Casualty'
    Because the stick jumped at 00:43 BDST
    By this time several men were already killed. (i.e one of the men died during the landing of the gliders at Pegasus Bridge)