Charlie's Church

Discussion in 'Fighter' started by Pat Curran, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Stephen M. Fochuk

Stephen M. Fochuk Active Member
    Researcher

Nov 26, 2015
    Male
    Fresh Air Inspector
    Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    What department should we book looking at?

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Stephen,

The Archive is not quite as difficult to search as I first thought. I forgot about Dale's link to the finding aid on the LMHA site. The Air Photo Finding Aid is here.

Look in any boxes which reference the Falaise/Trun/Chambois areas.

Thanks,

Pat

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Lets get organised...

Here are the 13 entries found when I searched on the word 'Trun':

[​IMG]

Anyone wishing to help; please let us know what box you are searching in order to avoid duplication of effort.

I note sortie 400/650 did not register in the above search result, but even so the 13 hits above are a good starting point.

Thanks,

Pat

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    I am searching the last entry above...

Box 0327 / Sortie 400/656.

Regards,

Pat

5. Ellen Duinker

Ellen Duinker Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    I will look at Box 109; sortie 400/682.

Regards,
    Ellen

6. Ellen Duinker

Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi all,

SINBAD from the French National Library responded with this IGN link to the region around Trun. I did locate the junction as identified in Pat's map; but was unable to visualize a "shed" in the AOI.

http://remonterletemps.ign.fr/telecharger?x=0.029526&y=48.846192&z=15&layer=GEOGRAPHICALGRIDSYSTEMS.MAPS&demat=DEMAT.PVA$GEOPORTAIL:DEMAT;PHOTOS&missionId=missions.2565580

Ellen

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks Ellen,

It was always going to be a long shot in any case.

Just need a glance at that gable; be it from a ground shot or a suitable oblique aerial.

Regards,

Pat

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

No luck yet with the railway embankment.

However, the YESTERDAY TV channel is running that brilliant series The World at War at the moment and I was watching Episode 17 - Morning June-August 1944 the other night with my feet up on the coffee table when suddenly I saw a flash of footage showing a Cromwell passing between a very familiar looking fountain and a World War I monument. It was only a few seconds of footage, so I went searching for this episode online and found a copy here.

Below are two stills from the footage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fountain, together with the monument can only mean this is Boissey and the tanks, which are most likely Canadian, are coming into the village on the D4 from the west and passing between the two landmarks, having turned north east onto the D154.

Not directly related to the thread, but at least there is a possible Canadian link albeit an armoured one :D

Regards,

Pat

9. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Pat, you might want to look into how common Cromwells were in Canadian units.....
    Now the Polish 1st Armoured Division, that's another story...

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Niels,

I thought the mark on the right front of the hull might be a TAC sign, but looking at other photos of Cromwells in Normandy, I think it's only the loop of the wire rope tow line.

Regards,

Pat

11. Jpz4

Jpz4 Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    There might be some exceptions, but I don't think the Canadians were equipped with Cromwells at all. Not my sector, but I don't think I've ever seen a Canadian Cromwell. They used Shermans.

12. allan125

allan125 Active Member
    Researcher

Apr 20, 2013
    Male
    Retired - although it doesn't feel like it
    Cornwall/UK
    Well spotted Pat, like you I watched the reruns and I have the series on DVD!!

Regards

Allan

13. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    For info, briefly.....

The tank in the footage/stills is a Cromwell CS (close support) with 95mm howitzer. If it's Polish I think it should belong to 10th Mounted Rifles, armoured recce unit.
    Niels is correct, it's not Canadian.

Cheers

Sean

14. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

Niels and Sean; thanks guys for the correction.

I was working on the map on page 82/83 of 'Ruckmarsch! The German Retreat from Normandy' by Jean Paul Pallud which indicates Boissey was in the First Canadian Army sector...and of course the Polish 1st Armoured Division was one of the attached units.

Allan,

Yes, a great series and well worth a re-run every so often.

Regards,

Pat

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A small step forward...

The attack on the curved railway embankment remains elusive, so I am trying a different tack to see if we can plot other pilots' locations for the afternoon patrol on the 17th July.

Readers will recall that Ellen interceded on our behalf with the Imperial War Museum in order for a copy of the gun camera footage to be released into our care for research purposes - under strict usage T&Cs. Now that I have a week off work for the Christmas holidays, I pushed Lady Luck for all she was worth last night/this morning for a solid four hours of searching, seeking this location from the gun camera footage of Flying Officer Ireland:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The attack appears to be aimed at at least one vehicle, possible a lone saloon car, which is stopped on the grass margin under a tall hedge at centre top of the above still from the footage. There is a very distinctive dwelling house (H) at lower right with a long lean-to attached to the near side gable. Note the curved track leading down to what I first took to be an S bend on a main road.

Lady Luck finally yielded this morning at 2:30am when both my PC screens came together about 4 miles north of Lisieux on what is today a re-aligned D579:
    [​IMG]
    All that remains today at the location is the house (H) and even that has gone through a major change with the removal of the lean-to and the addition of a new L shaped annex in its place:
    [​IMG]
    The road re-alignment appears to have commenced in 1955 and was substantially completed a year later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One more map pin for the 1600 hrs patrol on the 17th July :)

Regards,

Pat

16. Ellen Duinker

Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    #196 Ellen Duinker, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Pat,

Your diligence on holiday time is commendable! My mother in PEI extends heartfelt appreciation for Whitebeam's continued research on "her Charlie's" July 17th activities. She wishes you and your family a very happy New Year.

F/O Ireland's footage indicates1630 as the time attributed to his attack. Can we assume one of Charlie's 3 strafing attacks on July 17 were also at 1630; the time indicated on his footage?
    (Assuming all 411 pilots left/ returned 1600-1710 as ORB indicated for the late afternoon assignment).

I am not able to review squadron pilots footage at present; do others indicate "1630 attacks"? Does that make a difference? Is the up/ down time more important/ accurate?

Cheers, Ellen

17. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Ellen,

Delighted to hear your Mum is doing well and following our exploits; please pass on my good wishes to her.

All the title boards in the film pertaining to the 1600 patrol of 411 Squadron on the 17th July show the same time of 1630 hrs and there is only one title board per pilot regardless of how many different scenes are shown for him. Below are two screenshots from my Faststone folder where I have extracted 933 still frames for that one patrol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the second screenshot above, the frame I used for my last post is shown highlighted in blue and directly above it is the title board for F/O Ireland. Note he also has a second attack in his footage showing a straight road with a large house and formal garden at top left of the frame. The the target(s) appear to be road traffic rather than the house itself.

I am going after that location next.

As to the time on the title boards; I think its just a generic time one half hour after wheels up and can, in my view at least, be ignored.

I would be very interested to know however how a typical squadron sortie operated at this time in Normandy...did they all stay together or did they break up into sections or pairs? The Form 541 of the ORB indicates wheels down as follows:
    • 2 aircraft @ 16:45
    • 4 aircraft @ 17:00
    • 6 aircraft @ 17:10
    Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Pat

18. MKenny

MKenny Active Member
    Researcher

Sep 24, 2017
    Male
    The Cromwell CS is from 1 RTR (7th AD) and is a clip from IWM Film A70 129-14 Production Date: 19-08-1944

19. Ellen Duinker

Researcher

Jan 6, 2015
    Thanks Pat,

Message relayed to our mother; appreciate the clarification on the title board times.
    Our dad was separated from his wingman sometime during the July 17th, 1600 sortie: he was alone when he came across the staff car on his way back to base. Not sure if pairs were the normal squadron formation.

Regards,
    Ellen

20. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Appreciate the unit identification Michael,

I wish there was a preview option on the IWM for this footage...wouldn't mind having a look at the St Pierre-sur-Dives - Livarot road from the ground during this period.

Regards,

Pat