Hunting the German Flak on the Cotentin

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by StevenJ, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Hi, Sean,

Here's a screen shot showing the 323rd's navigation route for its 6 June 1944 PM mission to Caen Road Junctions C-1 and C-2. I took a screen shot of the flak map you posted above, extracted the area around Caen, and superimposed the approximate lines of the navigation route on it. It shows how the group navigators planned their mission routes to avoid flying within range of known flak positions to the extent possible. On the mission into Caen, the last leg into the target passes over a solid red area shaped like a dove joint. Typically, this leg was scheduled to last two minutes, which was the plan for this mission. The bomb run ended up being 60 seconds.

upload_2020-1-9_13-49-27.jpeg

I apologize for my ignorance. Would you please provide more information about AIR 24/36? I'm not sure where to look for it.

Thanks,

Jan

2. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello Jan

Stephen meant this file at the UK NA in Kew:

I AIR 24 36.jpg

I'll be back over in a couple of weeks so will go through it.

Cheers

Sean

3. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for responding, Sean. I scrolled up too far for the ID. :)

Thanks for offering to look. Does it take long for the library at Kew to pull files for you?

4. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    About 30-45 minutes.

They have a good system there, although in a couple of months they're going to change things temporarily, trialling new ideas.

I generally order in advance, which means you can access your stuff sooner and order more (12 files in advance, 3 at a time on the day).

Cheers

Sean