La Londe glider

Discussion in 'Troop Carrier & Glider' started by marketc47, Mar 13, 2013.

1. marketc47

marketc47 Active Member
    Researcher

Feb 15, 2013
    Hello,

Recently I received information related to a 436th TCG glider pilot who flew three (!!!) missions to Normandy.
    His first flight was on D-day. The second one on 10 June. This was a resupply mission with a handful of gliders. When the glider pilots got back in England, they were asked if they would like to go in again. They wanted and on the 13th (some files say 12th) they flew another resupply mission. This time they landed at the La Londe airstrip.

The glider pilot, F/O Chevalier, mentioned that he landed on the same spot as where he had landed on D-ay. His D-day flight was with a Horsa and he had a difficult landing. The other flights were with CG-4A gliders.

In the old forum there was a topic with the gliders at La Londe and I sure would like to see some of those old results, information and images again in this topic.
    I will work out to find how to post images here. Had some trouble with the forum/website and my computer.

Hans
    www.airbornetroopcarrier.com
    [hr]
    [attachment=13]

If it worked out, here is the drawning of F/O Chevalier's D-day glider.

Hans
    www.airbornetroopcarrier.com

Attached Files:

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Hans,

I think we already have one possibility for you in the subject photograph of the 'Another Glider Tie-Up' thread. The Horsa #22 is without doubt on the La Londe A-6 strip, I suspect at or near the La Londe Farm Avenue.

The earliest cover I have of the gliders on the future strip is the photograph below from page 60 of Philippe Esvelin's "Forgotten Wings":
    [​IMG]
    Below is the GE finder chart for this photograph:
    [​IMG]
    The extract below is a high resolution version of the lower left corner:
    [​IMG]

Note the Horsa with its port side wing overhanging the western hedge of the avenue - I wonder if this is #22 and/or the Horsa in your sketch Hans :dodgy:

One of the best overviews of the near complete La Londe A-6 ALG is seen in this extract from NCAP_ACIU_US7GR_1857_8010 flown on the 12th June (This view always reminds me of an aircraft carrier but I am sure the likeness is accidental):
    [​IMG]
    Note the La Londe Farm Avenue again marked with the two blue arrows. There are gliders (now tidied up) at both sides of the avenue near the upper most of the two arrows. I have little doubt that F/O Chevalier's Horsa is at, or very close to this location.

I'll dig out more images pertaining to the La Londe A-6 ALG and post them here soon.

In answer to your query as to how to embed images in your posts, I have highlighted the code buttons and resulting code on the screenshot of the 'Post a New Reply' work area of the forum which I used to post this reply to you:
    [​IMG]
    The code insert buttons used are:
    • Yellow - Insert a link to a web page
    • Blue - Underscore text
    • Green - Align text or images to center of page
    • Pink - Embed an image in your post
    Note how each tag has an open and close element and also that each are in pairs working from the centre outwards of the object to be formatted. I'll do a more comprehensive 'how to' when I get a chance but let me know how you get on and if you have any further problems posting images.

Regards,

Pat