Let Us Pause to Remember

Discussion in 'Admin Notice Board' started by Pat Curran, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    To all Readers,

Today, 72 years ago thousands of Allied soldiers, sailors and airmen unlocked the door of freedom on and over the beaches of Normandy. As the clock on my desk approaches noon, I pause to remember the cost of freedom paid that day.

The assault on Omaha Beach was still in doubt at this time, while slow but steady progress had been made on the other four beaches of Utah, Gold, Juno and Sword. Paratroopers had already been fighting for over ten hours on the flanks and the Rangers at Pointe du Hoc continued to meet stiff resistance on the cliff top position.

Let us pause to remember those that did not see the dawn on Wednesday morning.

Regards,

Pat

2. Chas

Chas Member
    Researcher

Jan 11, 2015
    Tks Pat, for the reminder. As you know, Dad was patrolling above the beaches the morning of D-day, and witness to the death and destruction on the shores below him. When asked for his impressions he always deferred to the story of swimming at Bogner Reach that afternoon, noting the incongruity of those two undertakings. I often wonder if he used the happier memory to block out the effect of what he had witnessed earlier in the day.

Wonderful sentiment regarding the fallen! All the best to you and yourn. / Jim

3. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you, Pat. Well said. To say we owe those that served a debt of gratitude seems inadequate. Together, they changed the world.

I am about to email you photographs taken from the Marauders of the 323rd Bomb Group on 6 June 1944. Some of them show excellent detail of the landing beaches, and offer a glimpse of their ringside seat to what was about to unfold below. You and Hans may be albe to splice them into a panoramic collage that may be useful inyour research.

The formations would have crossed the Channel at about 12,000 feet altitude and made two 360 degree spiralling turns off the cost to descend to about or below 3,500 feet to get under the cloud cover. The 323rd BG aircrews were ordered to descend to any altitude necessary to bomb visually.

I have the 70th Anniversary of D-Day interview of Frank Burgmeier, a Lead Navigator flying with John Bull Stirling in one of the flight lead aircraft that targeted coastal batteries on Utuah beach around 6:25 a.m., just before the landing craft came ashore. I will send it to you as well.

Please post whatever you think may be of interest to Forum members.

Although the following poem was written by a soldier firghting in the First World War, the message seems appropriate for today.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, and sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from falling hands we throw
    The torch, be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

-Maj. John McCrae
    May 1915

We owe it to those that sacrifieced so much to not be so arrogant as to assume our respective countries and lives are immune to the appeal of the politics of fear and hatred that caused so much sufferring and loss in the Second World War.

Jan

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Jan,

You have succeeded in ceasing all activity in my garden for at least a week :D

These photos are truly remarkable gems - though they were not taken by the 323rd BG. These are frames from sorties flown by the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group on D-Day. If you look at the captions you will see references such as US 7GR/1729 as in frame 3017 below:
    [​IMG]

I don't even have a pilot name for sortie 1729!...and I am almost certain that there are no frames from this important D-Day sortie in the NCAP database.

I'll sort through them and get them up as soon as possible.

Many, many thanks Jan.

Pat

5. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Very interesting. I assumed they were 323rd photos because they were in the 323rd BG files at National Archives in College Park, Maryland. The 323rd must have been using them for briefings. Do you think a photographer may have just been assigned to the 323rd from the 7th AF? I will double check the 323rd's D-Day loading list to make sure.

Some of the photos have nice detail!

6. kgm

kgm Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 26, 2012
    Pat,

Thank you for the words of remembrance.

Like a few other members of this Forum, I am honored to have been the son of a man that served in Normandy that day. For my father, at this hour 72 years ago, his night of hiding in a ditch in a farmyard somewhere near Hiesville with F/O Art Collins and two others was coming to an end. On the previous day, June 6th, he had been a witness to history and the horrors of war. As many veterans did, my father attempted to block out the memories of that day. In fact, throughout his entire life, his account of that day and the entire war was never more than a simple “I landed in a field near the town of Hiesville” along with a brief comment about Market Garden. Other than those short comments, he never spoke of the war to others or me except when he briefly opened up to authors Koskimaki and Ryan in the mid-1960s. It is fortunate that my father and others did so in order for us to have a full appreciation of their sacrifices decades later.

To the men like my father and the many other veterans that are chronicled in detail in this Forum, we owe so much.

R/Kevin

7. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Jan,

Almost certainly the photos were used by the 323rd for bomb damage assessment briefings, following their D-Day missions. Hence the presence of the photos in the 323rd NARA archive.

The 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group was part of 8th Air Force, USAAF and was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation for actions between 31st May and 30th June. They were also involved in the extremely hazardous 'dicing' missions of April and May, bringing back low level oblique photos of the Normandy beach defences.

Regards,

Pat

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    A very fine tribute Kevin.

I think as the years pass, we need to redouble our efforts so that the following generations appreciate and fully comprehend the price paid for freedom.

Regards,

Pat

9. sirjahn

sirjahn Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    My Father wrote that when he woke up in a ditch after passing out from his wounds that he saw a field of poppies. He wrote that the first thing he thought of was that poem even as Germans were on the far side of the field digging in a light field gun.

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Dale,

How close have you come to estimating his landing field?

Poppies would only be growing in an arable field, sprinkled amongst the cereal crop.

Regards,

Pat

11. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Pat,

The person I hired to photograph 323rd records at NA indicated there were many sequential photos in the file from which the reconn photos were taken. She thought they might be photos from the strike cameras. Due to the cost, I asked her to pick s few to send me. There are a few I did not send, but will later today.

I will ask my researcher to send a copy the pull slip for the box containing the reconn photos and send it to you. On the NA site for military records, there is a list of researchers with their contact info, locations and areas of concentration. Alternatively, NA will do the research, but they may be less responsive due to workload or more expensive to retain in the event there is a desire to secure copies of the photographs. I experienced long wait times in working with archival staff at NA.

Jan
    [hr]
    Pat,

The only photographers that were on the 323rd's D-Day loading lists were from the 4th US Camera Unit and civilian press corps. It looks like representatives from the 9th Bomb Command also went along, but they were not designated as photographers. So, the photographs certainly were taken on a distinct 7th AF mission.

The 323rd's targets on D-Day were:

Beau Guillot BD
    Madeline BD
    St. Martin de Varreville BD
    Caen RJ

In the days leading up to D-Day, the 323rd's coastal defense targets included:

St. Marie du Mont CD - May 22
    St. Marie Au Bose CD - May 24
    St. Cecily CD - May 24
    Hermanville CD - June 2
    Epperville CD - Jun 4

The reconn mission may have focused on damage assessments for the raids on coastal batteries in preparation for the invasion as well as on D-Day itself.

Jan
    [hr]

12. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Jan,

I have been looking through my 7th PRG bible, 'Eyes of the Eight' by Patricia Fussell Keen in an attempt to identify the pilot who flew sortie US7GR/1729 on D-Day morning. Your NARA trawl has brought us the following frames from this sortie:
    • 3017 (above)

The other five frames you sent are all from sortie US7GR/1730, and are in the NCAP database here.

We know sortie 1730 was flown by the new Group Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Clarence Shoop - this was his first mission as a recon pilot in an F5 (PR version of the P-38 Lightning). So who flew sortie 1729?

[​IMG]

I suspect it was Col. Shoop's wingman, Col. Norris Hartwell, the man Shoop was replacing as Group Commander. The narrative in the book certainly suggests this:

It is said by some that the photo of the woman kneeling in prayer is this one, but I could never find her therein :D

Regards,

Pat

13. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Another thought...

Reading the narrative again, I wonder if that well known photo showing a formation of P-38s with invasion stripes, shot from above IIRC, was a test shot from one of Shoop's or Hartwell's cameras :idea:

If it was, then the narrative would suggest that I have been spending too much time looking for the location in Normandy :D

Regards,

Pat

14. sirjahn

sirjahn Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Pat,

Here is my attempt at identifying my Dad's drop point. It is the blue circle in the middle of a field just east of the 91st LL HQ. From his drop point I believe he moved SW running into the HQ Security tank platoon position after a brief fire fight he fled east toward the beaches. He had another fire fight along one of those roads before passing out. The other arrows on the map are the 82nd AB estimated stick drop points from their afteraction report. The big dotted oval is the 508th PIR drop zone. I have added to the Google map tree puffballs where there were trees in 1944. The hedgerows and houses were basically unchanged in the photo. Picauville is in the lower left corner.

Edited by Pat to reduce image width to 850 pixels

15. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Dale,

I cannot see your link from my work PC, but I'll have a look tonight.

You don't by any chance have the 'Pilot Flight Traces' for either or both Sorties US7GR/1729 and US7GR/1730?

Thanks Dale,

Pat

16. sirjahn

sirjahn Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Sorry my sortie sketches are for the 30th PRS.

17. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Dale,

I don't know if you ever saw this before but Glyn is looking for a glider in the Hill 30 area which made me think this might be of some value to you as well.

I had found an account from SLA Marshall, titled "Affair at Hill 30" .

The account is in 2 parts linked below:

http://508pir.org/pdf_files/Affair%20At%20Hill%2030%20Part%20I%20-%20MCG%20Feb%201948.pdf

http://508pir.org/pdf_files/Affair%20At%20Hill%2030%20Part%20II%20-%20MCG%20March%201948.pdf

John

18. Jan Foster

Jan Foster Active Member
    Researcher

Jan 12, 2016
    Female
    Austin, Texas
    Pat,

Very interesting. It's odd that there is no information noted for that particular mission particularly in light of its historical significance and tie to the DUC.

Did you recognize any locations in the 1729 photographs? This will help point to how they were used.

It looks like a remote possibility the photographs taken on sortie 1730 were used in the briefing and preparation for the June 6 mission to Caen RJ C-1 and C-2 as the 323rd made landfall on.that raid at Ouisterham. (See the sortie entry noting Ouisterham.) There is a widely published photograph of what appears to have been the briefing for that mission. At the briefing table, the Cllonel addressing the group is reaching for a what appears to be a stack of photographs on the table he is perching upon. (We know the photograph is of a 323rd mission briefing because my dad is sitting in the second row, with JD Helton in the first row. The photo is described as a B-26 D-Day briefing.) I wonder whether the documents for which the Colonel is reaching are these reconnaissance photos. Your quote indicates the film was developed after 9 a.m. The b323rd briefing would have taken place around 2:30 or 3 p.m. With TO at 3:30 p.m.

I would like to go to NA to see exactly where those reconn photos were located and the other documents with which they were filed to provide context on their use by the 323rd.

I will post the photograph when not posting from my phone.

Jan

19. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Jan,

I presume as 7th PRG commanders, the two men would have had more latitude than other pilots in the Group when it came to flight plans, mission duration and photo targets. That's not to say that they had no mission parameters and you well be correct in that their photos were part of the 323rd's pre and post mission briefings for D-Day.

I have been off list here of late due to more mundane matters in the garden but the rain has finally stopped play, so I'll have a look for sortie 1729 locations this week. I'll open a new thread specifically for this task tonight and share the photos with the other readers.

BTW, I am looking for a short piece of footage showing a stick of bombs hitting what I take to be the back of Utah Beach. It has marks like lightening streaks which I presume is damage to the original film. If anyone finds a link to this well know footage, I would appreciate a post here please. It is very likely footage shot from the Marauder raid on D-Day morning, prior to the landings. Thanks.

Regards,

Pat

20. sirjahn

sirjahn Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    The mission summary for US7GR/1729 is this.

Caen,/Carpiquet Airfield(FW), Oustreham, Beachhead area