LIFE Photo - Herd of Allied Tanks

Discussion in 'American' started by Pat Curran, Feb 18, 2015.

1. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Guys,
    While I look at the video of the Panther on the road, it is likely the same tank marked 'B' in the aerial. You can also see in the video, and at the same time, the tank in the distance that is marked 'C' in the aerial. You can tell because they both angle away from the road.
    The tank marked 'C' cannot be the panther in the bomb crater because the panther in the video is angled at about 45 degrees in the road and leaning into the road, not away.
    For a while I considered the crater directly to the rear and right of Panther 'B', but in the darkness of the video you can make out GI's standing in that area, and no tank. For now, I don't think the panther in the bomb carter is in the Life photo.

John

2. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Guys,

The BP Film #1958.01 has a few extra seconds of footage over that of the Critical Past footage. Therein is a good view of the road opposite the triangular field where I take it Sean suspects the Panther in the crater to be. Looking at stills 15, 16 and 17...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...there appears to be three gaps in the hedgerow caused by blast damage or actual bomb hits. The northern gap is pretty well defined in still No. 15 above, and from what I can make out, the gap is caused by blast damage from a bomb which has hit inside the triangular field. The second gap, which I think is the spot Sean is considering, is visible above the 'T' of the word 'PATHE' in still No. 16 and above the 'I' of 'BRITISH' in still No. 17. We would need to purchase a copy of either 16 or 17 to be sure of what is visible on the road at this spot. The third gap at the southern corner of the triangular field I think can be safely ignored.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Pat

3. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Thanks Pat,

Hmmmm..... I see no sign of any Panther.. :s

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Sean,

There is a better view down the road from this photo on the WW2 Radio FB site. I flipped it right way round below:
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

Regards,

Pat

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    ...and another from the WW2 Radio collection very close by:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the seven lone apple trees in the field at lower right. I have marked two of them '1' and '2' on a copy of US30/4378, frame 2007. Ignore blue markings in this instance, as they refer only to the original 'Herd of Allied Tanks' photo.

All that remains today is the right angle corner marked '3' on the GE finder chart.

Regards,

Pat

6. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    ...and one more, midway between La Chapelle en Juger and Hebecrevon:
    [​IMG]
    The La Terrette River is now covered in trees and scrub, so its hard to see it on Google Earth...
    [​IMG]
    ...but very easily followed on Google Maps:
    [​IMG]
    One more down :D

Regards,

Pat

7. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    PAt and all,

There's another in the series that's bothering me. Not sure if it's been identified but here we go, this one. It ties in with another photo in the group, here, I think.

The firts one shows at least three German vehicles, two Panthers and an SdKfz251/7 half track:

[​IMG]

The half-track is much more apparent in the second photo taken on the road itself:

[​IMG]

This particular vehicle is featured in a few pictures in the excellent Panzerwrecks Vol 8. It has its rear in a gully or stream:

[​IMG]

I think it's something more than the usual ditches as there's a bridge across it on the other side of the road and in the aerial photo it seems to turn a bit like a ntural flow of water would.

In this photo the Panther is still the right way up:

[​IMG]

Here after the engineers have cleared the road:

[​IMG]

For those not familiar with them, I'd recommend a look at Barry Crook's site, some relative posts here, here and here.

Any ideas as to location? Apologies if it's already known.

Cheers,

Sean

8. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Sean,

Working on a spot 950 meters NW of the church in Hebecrevon on the old D77 - if I am right, the new motorway has buried the two small fields in the centre of the aerial photo - and the crossing point at lower right must not be a bridge!

Looks good on IGN cover flown in 1947. Will have a screenshot with ties up soon.

Regards,

Pat

9. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    OK, I think we have it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am happy to see the road crossing (not a bridge) still there in 1947 :D

Regards,

Pat

10. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    One more...
    [​IMG]
    A lot has changed in Canisy since the War and the crossroads in the village is now a roundabout. However, the GE 'street view' of the village church below is unmistakable when compared to the church in the upper right corner of the 1944 LIFE aerial photo:
    [​IMG]

Regards,

Pat

11. Sean

Sean Active Member
    Researcher

Oct 24, 2012
    Male
    Battlefield guide
    Normandie
    Hello Pat,

I think so too. Nice one :)