The Horsas at the crossroads of d115 & d913

Discussion in 'Troop Carrier & Glider' started by Jonesy, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Francois Dumas

Francois Dumas Administrator
    Staff Member

May 18, 2013
    Male
    publisher (semi)retired
    Italy
    Probably wrong, but looking at that wall with the US soldier and the POW it looks as if there is canvas draped over it. two layers, one covering the entire side and one only covering the top.

2. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Pat,
    After looking at the video, I see what you are talking about around the west side of the calvary. I was so convinced by your screenshots before that I didn't even bother to look at the Critical past video. There does look like there might be a wall as pictured on the west side of the calvary and east side of the D913. It also helped to have the truck go by along that area in the critical past video, so I could get a sense of the scale of the objects near the calvary. This also might make sense because maybe they searched POW's at the calvary, moved them across the road for brief interrogation, then further into the field for confinement.

I think what you are looking at above the truck fenders are objects on the truck, or the truck its self. The correct angle wouldn't show us the calvary wall from where the photo was taken and it could not be a wall along where the Horsa E3 landed because we can see that area much clearer on photos of Horsa E3 on page 1 of this thread.

John

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Guys,

Francois, I doubt if there is a canvas cover present; it seems to me to be just well weathered plaster work. Note the presence of lichens, which would indicate its a north facing wall and would therefore fit well here in the orientation we are seeking.

John, I found a better version of the Dodge truck footage on the PhotosNormandie YouTube Channel:
    [​IMG]
    I now see what you mean; certainly I agree there is something tied down on the left front fender, but I would still hold out hope that we can see the wall over the right fender. :s

I also grabbed the still below from the PhotosNormandie Film f000059 as M7 'Apache' approaches the crossroads running east to west on the D913:
    [​IMG]
    The front wall under the railing and to the left of the road sign seems to show no sign of the honeycomb plaster work and looks to be unchanged from that seen in the old postcard. There appears to be a pile of kit bags or something in front of the remainder of the wall to the right of the road sign. So, still no solid proof. :dodgy:

Back in the PoW field, I wanted to show readers this merged panning screenshot from Tyler Alberts 90th ID DVD. The blue markings were added before we knew where this field was located and I think its now safe to say we are a looking down the field to the D913 hedgerow with a substantially increased number of PoWs now held all along its full length:
    [​IMG]
    BTW, I see here from the inscription on the present day crucifix that it dates from 1895, so the old crucifix seen in the postcard must predate it by that year at least. Looking around from the same 'street view' spot to this view of the PoW field, you can see the maize crop shows the uphill slope on the field quite well.

I obsess over such things :D

Regards,

Pat

4. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Pat,
    I noticed that one more click on the westbound side of the road show your field without corn.
    You can see the elevation a little better.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@49.3889052,-1.2172546,3a,75y,242.48h,82.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFyRoPOmL7lpSBkXknhcjjA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

John

5. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Saw that John,

But I preferred the maize...sorry corn view :D

Regards,

Pat

6. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi all,

In the snagit image below, might there be another "wingless horsa" on the left side, not far from the one on the right, identified in post #73 earlier?

[​IMG]

It does look like it could be part of a crash site.

Charles

7. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi all,

In the partial image below (taken from the ACIU_140/334_3125 photo) might there be another "wingless horsa" on the left side, not far from the one on the right, identified in post #73 earlier?

[​IMG]

Charles

8. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi all,

In the partial image below (taken from the ACIU_140/334_3125 photo) might there be another "wingless Horsa fuselage" on the left side, not far from the one on the right, identified in post #73 earlier?

[​IMG]

Charles

9. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Charles,

I would agree with you.
    Did you also notice what might be another glider the crashed into the Brecourt Manor battery hedgerow.
    I seem to think I see the tail of something on the east side of the hedgerow and skid marks trailing behind it.

John

10. ddayHorsa

ddayHorsa Active Member
    Researcher

Dec 20, 2013
    Yes John,

I did notice what you describe, but did not know what to make of it. No doubt that there are skid marks leading to something. What do you think the object is that I have pointed out with the arrow below?

[​IMG]

Is it an upright pole of some sort? Or something lying down on the ground?

Charles

11. John Szweda

Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Hi Charles,
    I don't think it is a pole because I don't see any long shadow cast from it.
    There does seem to be a very short shadow cast from it the entire length as if it was a low gate or even something like a drainage ditch or trench.
    It looks too narrow to be part of a glider to me though.

John