WXYZ Complex, D-Day Afternoon

Discussion in 'American' started by RhysArmstrong, Jun 3, 2017.

1. RhysArmstrong

Hi all. I am looking into the Operation at The WXYZ Complex and the actions of Sgt. Summers of the 101st ABD on the early afternoon of D-Day. I have read the account in "D-day With The Screaming Eagles" by George Koskimaki, also the account in "Rendezvous with Destiny." I am planning a return trip to the objective areas of both the 101st and 82nd ABD for the Normandy invasion in the near future. Any help with satellite images or maps of the above Complex would be most appreciated. If this is already in another forum post, a link to that would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

2. John Szweda

John Szweda Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Male
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    #2 John Szweda, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Jeffrey,

I have a map available for you...
    the Map comes from Mark Bando's great book "101st Airborne, The Screaming Eagles In World War II" page 68. I assume the numbers correspond with the route taken.

When do you plan on going to Normandy? We here on the forum are in the early stages of planning a group meeting possibly in June of 2018. Follow the details and developments on the forum.

John

3. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Jeffrey,

Just done a thread search on the term 'WXYZ' and found we mentioned it in this post.

I was also working on a theory a while back that one of the medic group photos in Mark's book '101st Airborne - The Screaming Eagles at Normandy', was shot outside one of the buildings in the hamlet. Cannot recall if it was one of the buildings in this action. Will dig out my notes for you.

Regards,

Pat

4. Pat Curran

Pat Curran Administrator
    Staff Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi All,

All posts which had been put up here in relation to the Doc Lage Aid Station location have been copied to a new dedicated thread titled 'Doc Lage & His Medics from 2/502 PIR' and deleted from here in order to keep Jeffrey's thread clear for replies to his original question.

Regards,

Pat